“Life As We Know It” heartwarming but predictable

Courtesy Warner Bros. Pictures

“Life As We Know It” is this season’s best romantic comedy with just enough drama to melt hearts and just enough hilarity to overshadow all the dramatics. Although it’s wholly predictable, the film is still charming and warm.

“Life As We Know It” is a tale about an incompatible man and woman who become stuck with the task of raising their best friend’s infant daughter.

Holly (Katherine Heigl) and Messer (Josh Duhamel) are faced with all of the challenges of unexpected parenthood while giving up the lives they had for a forced family. The actors mesh well together and their characters’ frequent spats feel as believable as they come.

The best emotions captured by the cast embodied those common of new parents, a strange mixture of excitement and fear of the unknown. Holly and Messer find commonality in their love for the baby Sophie and try to work out their differences for her sake.

The movie is full of non-stop laughs and sweet, touching moments. Though it may seem the story has been told before in one way or another, where the opposites find a common factor that brings them together in love and happiness in the end, it’s still entertaining. Great for a first date, this comedy does a good job of not overdoing the romance, but manages to leave a lasting impression on hearts through laughter.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Starring: Katherine Heigl, Josh Duhamel, Josh Lucas

Released: Oct. 8

MPAA rating: PG-13

Jasmine Henderson

Contributing Columnist

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...