Sports briefs

Swimming & Diving

After recording a 188-54 win over Florida International University in their home opener, which included winning 12 out of the 13 events, the Hurricane swimming and diving team is preparing for another in-state match-up this Saturday. The Canes will travel to Tallahassee to take on both Florida Gulf Coast University and the host Florida State University starting at 10 a.m.

Soccer

The Hurricanes are set to kick off Senior Night at Cobb Stadium tonight when they take on the Virginia Tech Hokies at 7:30 p.m. Miami, currently 3-3 in the ACC and 9-5-1 overall, are aiming to make the NCAA Tournament for the third year in a row. The Canes will honor seniors Brittney Steinbruch, Brittney Macdonald, Barbara Blocker, Katie Oddo and Lauren Singer in a pre-game ceremony.

Football

Defensive lineman Allen Bailey has been named one of the quarter-finalists for the Lott IMPACT Trophy. He is one of 23 athletes who were named quarter-finalists of the award, which is given every year to college football’s Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year. The award strives in recognizing both athletic performance and personal character attributes of each player.

UNC at Miami Game changes

The University of Miami athletics department and Sun Life Stadium have announced some changes to the game day operations for Saturday night’s game. Parking lot gates will open at 2:30 p.m., an hour earlier than originally intended, in order to alleviate traffic flow. Also, all parking (both pre-purchased and purchased on sight) will be directed to individual parking spots by stadium personnel. There will also be an increased presence in  security and law enforcement.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports briefs”

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...