DC swank to Coral Gables street cred

Let me start by stating I am a BAP.  It stands for “Black American Princess.” I grew up on the mean streets of the “Gold Coast” of Washington, D.C. I am not street savvy and I do not have an ounce of “street cred.” I was raised like any true card-carrying prep in a gated community, riding horses, lunching at the country club and summering on some exotic beach.

I chose the University of Miami because the campus looks like home. With its lazy palm trees, well-manicured lawns, fountain-laden lake, Starbucks and all the accoutrements of a well-appointed resort, for us preppies, it has a familiarity.

But recently, somewhere between Mummy and Daddy coming to visit and a day trip to Merrick Park, something went horribly wrong.

When did Coral Gables turn into a scene from “Bad Boys”?  First it was the genius who got the idea to rob the Starbucks on campus, then some random morons decided to do a drive-by with a BB gun. But two weeks ago was the coup de gra, the cherry on this whole messed up sundae of crime. Someone decided to rob the Bank of America, across from campus.

Here I was all these years listening to rappers opine about how rough the streets are. Well eff the streets; apparently the ‘burbs (as I’ve chosen to call them due to their newly credited roughness) are now the new hard streets. Pretty soon, gone will be people trying to look like rejects from cellblock 10.  That’s right, pretty soon everyone will be trading white tees for argyle sweaters, and baggy jeans and Tims for topsiders and chinos.

So I guess all this poppin’ off in Coral Gables means that I may have street cred after all.  So I’ll say it loud and proud…Suburbs stand up! I’m from the ‘burbs b*****s, and what!

MacKenzie Green is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and sport administration. She may be contacted at mgreene@themiamihurricane.com.

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

13 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “DC swank to Coral Gables street cred”

1. AMD says:

I think this article is just pathetic. I grew up in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. I went to The Madeira School for Girls. I’m guessing you went to one of our rival independent schools. You are helping to create problems within the black community. I am also black and come from a wealthy family. There is no need to act as though you are better than people who were not given the same opportunities that you were. If this is so called humor, why would you make fun of such a social problem? It is not okay.

2. Mallory says:

Furthermore, she is cleverly using wit and sarcasm to address what is, for a lot of people, an issue. No parent wants to send their child to a school where the Starbucks is held up, kids (whether they be from that school or not) are riding around with BB guns and the bank across the street that many students frequent is robbed. UM has had enough problems in the past with people thinking that we’re all thugs and incidents like those she described only serve to reinforce that fallacious point of view. Even though our football team has cleaned up (there are no players who have criminal records), other things on campus seem to be changing, and not for the better. Obviously these people who are writing all these negative comments are the idiots who are watching the stupid shows on Comedy Central – they wouldn’t understand humor unless it whacks them over the head (witness: Jackass 3-D being the #1 movie in the country). Socio-political satire is clearly a lost cause with them.

P.S. What I find also ironic is that those kids who think MacKenzie is looking down on people are the same kids who would lock their doors, roll up their windows and drive as fast as possible through the projects just to the west of University Village.

3. MJS says:

ignorantmuch11: I don’t understand how you can call anyone else ignorant when you can’t even bother to spell properly. What’s really problematic here is your spelling (rediculous, your when it should be you’re) and lack of capitalization. I’m honestly surprised you managed to spell ignorant correctly.

4. This article is rediculous. you sound like a stuck up brat. Think about what you write before you write it. This article is all types of problematic. Your a black american princess???? street cred??? you sound so ignorant.

5. Ernest Green says:

My name is Ernest Green, and I am Mackenzie’s father. I am disturbed that students are presuming they can speak for me, and judge my daughter based on the life I have worked hard to provide for her. I make no apologies for the comforts my work has provided. I didn’t have parents who could leave me anything other than a legacy of hard work and ambition. In addition to sending she and her two older siblings to college, I fund two scholarships at Michigan State for inner city kids and nine scholarships through the Little Rock Nine Foundation.Is my daughter spoiled, yes, I did that. Is she a brat, absolutely not and if you really knew her you would know that is not true. Bratty is shooting at people with a BB gun and thinking it is ok, and then chastising her for speaking out. Bratty was 52 years ago blocking the educational rights of black students in the south when the United States Supreme Court upheld those rights. Does she love herself….she better because I learned in my tumultuous school year at Central High School and since, that if you don’t love and think highly of yourself people will tear you apart. Yes, you can have an opinion about the OpEd piece she wrote, and you don’t have to like her as a person, but don’t “EVER” presume to speak for me regarding my daughter, that is crossing the line.

6. Ernest Green says:

My name is Ernest Green, and I am Mackenzie’s father. I am disturbed that students are presuming they can speak for me, and judge my daughter based on the life I have worked hard to provide for her. I make no apologies for the comforts my work has provided. I didn’t have parents who could leave me anything other than a legacy of hard work and ambition. In addition to sending she and her two older siblings to college, I fund two scholarships at Michigan State for inner city kids and nine scholarships through the Little Rock Nine Foundation.
    Is my daughter spoiled, yes, I did that. Is she a brat, absolutely not and if you really knew her you would know that is not true. Bratty is shooting at people with a BB gun and thinking it is ok, and then chastising her for speaking out. Bratty was 52 years ago blocking the educational rights of black students in the south when the United States Supreme Court upheld those rights. Does she love herself….she better because I learned in my tumultuous school year at Central High School and since, that if you don’t love and think highly of yourself people will tear you apart. Yes, you can have an opinion about the OpEd piece she wrote, and you don’t have to like her as a person, but don’t “EVER” presume to speak for me regarding my daughter, that is crossing the line.

7. Ad89:
    My husband and I both read and appreciated the humor of the article. We do not appreciate any student speaking for us, especially those that don’t know our family. We raised our daughter to be proud of who she is, and her strong self worth is a product of our teaching. To whom so ever much is given, much is expected…she lives her life by that motto, and we are proud of it. We make no apologizes for the exceptional woman that we have raised.
    But don’t ever speak about or for us…especially in the disparaging manner that you did. We always are and will continue to be proud of MacKenzie, and have loved her brand of humor since she came in to this world. Next time you want to know what we think about our daughter ask us…but if you really knew our daughter you would have already known that.

8. ernest green says:

9. eLZee says:

It would seem we are all acquainted with Mackenzie Green. Proportionally to how important her family is I would say that Ms. Green is quite down to earth. I believe many of the things she says about being spoiled are merely journalistic witticisms, which are in fact quite witty. My only criticism would be that those “random morons” with the bb gun were in fact…spoiled UM students as well.

10. ad89 says:

It’s ridiculous how neither the writer nor any of her friends can accept any criticism for this article. This girl (who I do know personally) does come across as completelyyy in love with herself in this article and it’s vomit-inducing. Don’t patronize us please. If things are too hard for you here in the ‘burbs, have “Mummy and Daddy” come get you. (Daddy, who, by the way, was a civil rights pioneer and probably did not want all of his sacrifice to go to naught as his daughter talks like the type of spoiled brat I would expect to see on “My Super Sweet 16”). If you don’t want to worry about getting shot by a BB gun, Miami International Airport is just 15 minutes away. I’m sure you’ll be flying first class, princess.

11. Mallory says:

*than you will ever know. Pardon the typo.

12. Mallory says:

Whoever you are, it’s pretty clear that you know nothing about her. She’s an amazing young woman who gives more of herself to the community (UM, Coral Gables and Washington DC) that you will ever know. She also raises appropriate points. I think it’s you who needs to shut it.

13. rtt115 says:

This article is part of the reason no one reads the Hurricane. The writer is so in love with herself it’s near embarrassing…someone needs to shut her up.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...