YouNiversity of Miami: Explore UM’s oppportunities

I’m sure it’s like nothing you have heard before. Ever since I knew what a university was, people have told me that college is the best time in life to try new things. Whether that new thing is naked salsa dancing, giving blood (yours, not someone else’s) or joining Greek life, these years as an undergraduate are ripe with unique opportunities found nowhere else in such abundance and, sadly, far too many people just pass them by.

It is truly ridiculous how many organizations there are on campus. Nearly 250 different clubs are all open for you to join, each with their own unique purpose and people. Whether you’re looking for something athletic, academic or abstract, you’ll certainly be able to find at least one, if not 50, clubs that fit you like a glove. Despite all this opportunity, it’s not uncommon to talk to people and find out that they are not involved in any organization, but that they also don’t really participate in any campus activities that don’t get them hammered.

A perfect example! How many people know about the third annual Shabbat dinner Hillel is hosting this Friday, featuring special guest, the one and only Donna “The Queen” Shalala (not her official nickname, but I’m hoping it sticks)? Since its beginning, Shabbat Shalala has grown at such a rate that it cannot even be hosted in the Hillel building anymore and has instead been moved to the Fieldhouse next to the BUC. This event is a perfect time to open your mind to new experiences and cultures, especially if you’ve never really been around a synagogue or the Jewish community. Everyone is welcomed and treated as family, whether you’re Jewish or gentile, coming for the service or just for the exquisite free dinner and wine. Or, in my case, just to bask in the glow of our president.

In any case, our time as undergraduates is shorter than we think, and in 50 years when we all look back on how we spent this time, we’ll be a lot happier if we can say we were involved in a variety of clubs and activities, not just sleeping in. So take this time, keep your eyes, ears and, most importantly, your mind open to new experiences.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...