Soccer

Weekend Soccer Recap

The University of Miami Hurricanes began their weekend road trip in Raleigh with a 2-0 win over North Carolina State.

Senior Brittney Steinbruch got the game winner in the 61st minute on a loose ball that she shot into the top left corner. The Hurricanes leading scorer now has seven goals in the season.

Freshman Kelley Griffin recorded her second goal of the season on a through ball from Steinbruch that she was able to push into net past the charging goalie.

With the goal and assist Steinbruch extended her career point total to 78, extending her team record. 

Junior Vikki Alonzo helped keep the Canes in the game, recording five saves in the first half as NC-State dominated the first half with 8 shots compared to 3 for the Hurricanes.

Alonzo recorded three more saves in the second half in her sixth shutout of the season as the Canes recorded their second straight ACC road win of the season.

The Hurricanes encountered a much different fate when they went to Chappell Hill to face the defending champions No.2 University of North Carolina, falling 5-0 to the Tar Heels. 

The first goal of the game came in the 18th minute on a long punt by Tar Heels goalie Hanna Daly that Kaelia Ohaia dribbled into the goal.

The Tar Heels got their second goal off a corner kick by Courtney Jones put in into net on the back end by Amber Brooks in the 29th minute.

Ten minutes later the onslaught continued as Courtney Jones received a cross from the left side from Kealia Ohai before finishing at the top of the box.

Amber Brooks got her second goal of the game in the 50th minute with a header in the box off a flick by Rachel Wood.

Just six minutes later Kealia Ohai got her second goal of the game, leading the team with 9 goals for the season. Ohai received the ball in the box from Kelley McFarlane and turned and shot on goal to make the final score 5-0.

The Tar Heels outshot the ‘Canes 21-3, with Freshman Tara Scwhitter leading the ‘Canes with two shots.

Schwitter had the best opportunity for the Canes in the 35th minute when her shot hit the post. Her second shot in the 51st minute was saved by Hannah Daly.

The Hurricanes next face Virginia Tech on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...