Sports briefs 10/14

BASEBALL

Two former Hurricanes are currently fighting for a chance to appear in the MLB World Series. Outfielder Pat Burrell and first Baseman Aubrey Huff, both currently with the San Francisco Giants, advanced to the National League Championship Series after eliminating the Atlanta Braves. They will now face off against the reigning National League Champions, the Philadelphia Phillies.

Heading into his 18th season as the head baseball coach, Jim Morris and the baseball team will begin fall practice on Thursday afternoon at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. A class of 12 freshmen and one sophomore join the team.

VOLLEYBALL

The Hurricanes will hit the road this weekend for a pair of ACC games, taking on both Maryland and Boston College.  Miami, currently 13-5 including 3-4 in the ACC, will look to improve over .500 in the ACC this weekend. The Canes will face off against the Terrapins (13-6 overall, 4-3 ACC) Friday at 5:30 p.m. before going up against the Boston College Eagles (8-12 overall, 0-7 ACC) on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.

FOOTBALL

ESPN2 announced that it will broadcast the Canes’ game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 23. The game will also air on ESPN2 HD and ESPN3.com.

SWIMMING/DIVING

After placing third overall in their season opener at the 2010 All Florida Invitational, hosted by University of Florida, the Hurricanes scored 733.50, finishing just behind Florida and Florida State. Overall, they won five events total including the 200-medley relay, 100 breaststroke, 100 freestyle  and 1-meter diving. The team is returning to the pool on Friday at 5 p.m. when they host Florida International University.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com. Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports briefs 10/14”

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...