Sports briefs 10/14

BASEBALL

Two former Hurricanes are currently fighting for a chance to appear in the MLB World Series. Outfielder Pat Burrell and first Baseman Aubrey Huff, both currently with the San Francisco Giants, advanced to the National League Championship Series after eliminating the Atlanta Braves. They will now face off against the reigning National League Champions, the Philadelphia Phillies.

Heading into his 18th season as the head baseball coach, Jim Morris and the baseball team will begin fall practice on Thursday afternoon at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. A class of 12 freshmen and one sophomore join the team.

VOLLEYBALL

The Hurricanes will hit the road this weekend for a pair of ACC games, taking on both Maryland and Boston College.  Miami, currently 13-5 including 3-4 in the ACC, will look to improve over .500 in the ACC this weekend. The Canes will face off against the Terrapins (13-6 overall, 4-3 ACC) Friday at 5:30 p.m. before going up against the Boston College Eagles (8-12 overall, 0-7 ACC) on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.

FOOTBALL

ESPN2 announced that it will broadcast the Canes’ game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 23. The game will also air on ESPN2 HD and ESPN3.com.

SWIMMING/DIVING

After placing third overall in their season opener at the 2010 All Florida Invitational, hosted by University of Florida, the Hurricanes scored 733.50, finishing just behind Florida and Florida State. Overall, they won five events total including the 200-medley relay, 100 breaststroke, 100 freestyle  and 1-meter diving. The team is returning to the pool on Friday at 5 p.m. when they host Florida International University.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com. Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...