‘Jackass’ makes its 3-D debut

Courtesy Paramount Pictures

September 26

The audience howls, shrieks with disgust and stares in silence as daredevil Steve-O bounces several stories in the air, buckled into the toilet seat of a used (and very full) Porta Potty attached to oversized bungee cords. It feels like human waste splatters not just Steve-O, but also the audience.

That’s because we’re at a seven-minute preview of “Jackass 3D” at Paragon Theaters, donning 3-D glasses that make the movie feel real- a little too real for some.

But 10 years after the debut of “Jackass” on MTV and more than four years since the franchise’s last feature film, the shock value is exactly what fans expect and want from headman Johnny Knoxville and his troupe of professional exhibitionists.

As the enthused audience leaves the theater with signed photos in hand, Knoxville and longtime “Jackass” director Jeff Tremaine nurse cans of Bud Light while spilling the deets on the 3-D flick to The Miami Hurricane.

The Miami Hurricane: How does it feel for “Jackass 3D” to finally hit the big screen?

Johnny Knoxville: It’s an odd feeling because it feels like we were just shooting it yesterday, and I wish we were still shooting it. But we’re very excited. We feel like this is our best “Jackass” film.

TMH: Because the film was shot in 3-D, did you try anything that fans might not be used to?

JK: 98 percent of the ideas we wrote just to be funny in 2-D. If it’s not funny in 2-D, it’s not going to be funny in 3-D.

Jeff Tremaine: We definitely wanted to stay true to the brand. We were nervous about making it in 3-D, just thinking that it might change our process. We weren’t open to that. We did some tests with different companies and we found [one]that could keep up with us so we didn’t have to change anything [and]could shoot it how we wanted to.

TMH: What was the worst injury on set?

JK: We had a bunch. [James] Lemus blew out his shoulder and had to have surgery on his shoulder and hand. I had a whiplash, concussion, I dislocated my shoulder, I had stitches in my hand.

JT: Steve-O got his nose broken pretty bad.

TMH: You guys are celebrating 10 years, a decade of “Jackass.” How do you keep it fresh creatively?

JK: I feel like we write better ideas now than when we began.

JT: Yeah, to be honest, we didn’t shoot more bits this time. But it was harder to kick bits out of this movie than it ever has been. We’ll make “Jackass 3.5.” With the last movie, we made 2.5 with the things that just didn’t make number two. In this one, we have so many bits that didn’t make the movie. I think it’s because either our ideas are better or we’re just better at executing it.

JK: Our ideas are better. We had so many bits that we didn’t even get to film [for “Jackass 3D”]- great bits, which I’m still f***ing pissed about.

JT: I think part of it is that, look, we only do these things every four years, so you start bursting at the seems to get the guys back together.

The 3-D Jackass reunion debuts this Thursday.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nmaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...