‘Comedians of Chelsea Lately’ show their shtick beyond TV

“Who pays for a gay wedding? The bottom’s family?”

Brad Wollack kicked off the “Comedians of Chelsea Lately” show at The Fillmore Miami Beach theatre Friday night to an orchestra of laughter. The diverse audience – truly a microcosm of Miami’s metropolitan community – quickly let their political correctness go as fast as they sipped cocktails and beer.

From the ladies in the front seat who cheered when Sarah Colonna mentioned that, most of the time, “ruffies” are merely an excuse for “blacking out,” to the mother who was surprised by Josh Wolf’s confession that he encouraged his teenage son to attend a rainbow party, nothing and no one were off limits. “I’m just kidding. Don’t call child protective services on me, lady.”

Indeed, this was your grandfather’s comedy show as much as E!’s “Chelsea Lately” with Chelsea Handler is not “The Tonight Show” with Johnny Carson.

The content of “Lately,” the current events late-night comedy du jour show on E!, on which all of the performing comedians are regulars, greatly informed the direction of the Fillmore performance – with one exception: the live performance in Miami Beach is exponentially naughtier. “We get away with a lot on E!,” Brad Wollack told The Miami Hurricane in an interview last week. But the four comedians, who performed 25-30 minute performances one after the other, probably wouldn’t dare go this far on cable, making the nearly $50 ticket cost (including added charges) well-worth the audience’s cash.

Comedian Loni Love owned the most well-received shtick of the night. As the closing act, Love benefitted from the audience’s then hour and a half intoxication. But Love, who appeared to be enjoying a few drinks herself, was right on mark. She sashayed around the stage with the level of comfort she admittedly feels at buffets. Every time I gained composure and was ready to let my cheeks and throat relax after a body-consuming laughter response to her hilarity, Love shot back with another joke of gold, sending your body into near compulsion.

It is a show for which an open-minded audience’s enjoyment is effortless. Treat yourself to a plethora of laughs and see the “Comedians of Chelsea Lately” on stage together before they outgrow the “Chelsea” brand and hopefully become as big as Ms. Handler herself.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...