YoUniversity of Miami: looking good, feeling good

It seems like a daily occurrence to turn on the news and hear an article about how obesity is beginning to sweep America, especially the younger generations.

Living in Miami, however, goes hand in hand with bathing suits, T-shirts, shorts and even shorter skirts (Hallelujah), and therefore, people make it their job to keep themselves fit. A recent article in TIME Magazine linked obesity and depression, noting how a sedentary lifestyle limits opportunities, impedes social interactions and makes life more difficult in general.

I think the philosopher Marcus Cicero had it right when he said, “it is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor.” We go to school to exercise our brain, but by also keeping our body healthy, we ensure a healthier, happier tomorrow.

Staying in shape is treated almost as a  chore by some, who force themselves to go to the gym three times a week, work out quickly and leave, all without a proper routine or forward progress. This is an atrocious mentality!

While I’m personally fond of our Wellness Center, there are tons of ways to keep active without ever picking up a barbell. Yoga is a superb manner to train both your mind and body. It is also is a trend that’s sweeping the nation, and before every guy dismisses the idea, after attending that class you get a true portrayal of just how flexible a girl can really be.

Running and swimming are classics, and require no real equipment except a pair of shoes or a swimsuit. Even participating in a pick-up game on the IM fields once a week will do wonders for your physique, whether your passion is soccer, basketball, or even ultimate Frisbee. Have a significant other? Some “alone time” burns calories, works a wide range of muscle groups, and leaves us all a little happier.

Keeping in shape is important for every single individual, and whether we reach this goal by going to the gym, hiking, running marathons, or mud wrestling, the effort you put in today will come back to you as reward tomorrow. You’ll look better, feel healthier, and be an improved, fitter you!

Evan Peskin is a junior pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “YoUniversity of Miami: looking good, feeling good”