YoUniversity of Miami: looking good, feeling good

It seems like a daily occurrence to turn on the news and hear an article about how obesity is beginning to sweep America, especially the younger generations.

Living in Miami, however, goes hand in hand with bathing suits, T-shirts, shorts and even shorter skirts (Hallelujah), and therefore, people make it their job to keep themselves fit. A recent article in TIME Magazine linked obesity and depression, noting how a sedentary lifestyle limits opportunities, impedes social interactions and makes life more difficult in general.

I think the philosopher Marcus Cicero had it right when he said, “it is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor.” We go to school to exercise our brain, but by also keeping our body healthy, we ensure a healthier, happier tomorrow.

Staying in shape is treated almost as a  chore by some, who force themselves to go to the gym three times a week, work out quickly and leave, all without a proper routine or forward progress. This is an atrocious mentality!

While I’m personally fond of our Wellness Center, there are tons of ways to keep active without ever picking up a barbell. Yoga is a superb manner to train both your mind and body. It is also is a trend that’s sweeping the nation, and before every guy dismisses the idea, after attending that class you get a true portrayal of just how flexible a girl can really be.

Running and swimming are classics, and require no real equipment except a pair of shoes or a swimsuit. Even participating in a pick-up game on the IM fields once a week will do wonders for your physique, whether your passion is soccer, basketball, or even ultimate Frisbee. Have a significant other? Some “alone time” burns calories, works a wide range of muscle groups, and leaves us all a little happier.

Keeping in shape is important for every single individual, and whether we reach this goal by going to the gym, hiking, running marathons, or mud wrestling, the effort you put in today will come back to you as reward tomorrow. You’ll look better, feel healthier, and be an improved, fitter you!

Evan Peskin is a junior pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...