YoUniversity of Miami: looking good, feeling good

It seems like a daily occurrence to turn on the news and hear an article about how obesity is beginning to sweep America, especially the younger generations.

Living in Miami, however, goes hand in hand with bathing suits, T-shirts, shorts and even shorter skirts (Hallelujah), and therefore, people make it their job to keep themselves fit. A recent article in TIME Magazine linked obesity and depression, noting how a sedentary lifestyle limits opportunities, impedes social interactions and makes life more difficult in general.

I think the philosopher Marcus Cicero had it right when he said, “it is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor.” We go to school to exercise our brain, but by also keeping our body healthy, we ensure a healthier, happier tomorrow.

Staying in shape is treated almost as a  chore by some, who force themselves to go to the gym three times a week, work out quickly and leave, all without a proper routine or forward progress. This is an atrocious mentality!

While I’m personally fond of our Wellness Center, there are tons of ways to keep active without ever picking up a barbell. Yoga is a superb manner to train both your mind and body. It is also is a trend that’s sweeping the nation, and before every guy dismisses the idea, after attending that class you get a true portrayal of just how flexible a girl can really be.

Running and swimming are classics, and require no real equipment except a pair of shoes or a swimsuit. Even participating in a pick-up game on the IM fields once a week will do wonders for your physique, whether your passion is soccer, basketball, or even ultimate Frisbee. Have a significant other? Some “alone time” burns calories, works a wide range of muscle groups, and leaves us all a little happier.

Keeping in shape is important for every single individual, and whether we reach this goal by going to the gym, hiking, running marathons, or mud wrestling, the effort you put in today will come back to you as reward tomorrow. You’ll look better, feel healthier, and be an improved, fitter you!

Evan Peskin is a junior pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...