The American Dream is not for everyone

Less than a month ago, the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act better known as the DREAM ACT was shut down by Congress, yet again.

The Dream Act is a proposed legislation that would allow undocumented young people, who were raised in this country and are under the age of 35, to live in this country legally. Most of these young people do not even remember their place of birth. They see the United States as their home. It is not their fault that they came to this country illegally and, therefore, should not be punished.

This legislation probably does not affect any of us since we are able to attend college- we must have some sort of legal standing. However, it does affect many people around us. I have many friends who were not able to continue their education due to the lack of an immigration status. Just look around you: We live in Miami, one of the most diverse cities in the world.

You can find a person from almost every country in the world in here. We are all part of the melting pot that is American culture. However, there are still some people who are in the dark. I find it hard to believe that in a nation made by immigrants, there are still some people forgotten by society. Currently, there are about 11 million undocumented people living in the United States. I wonder what the government plans to do to fix this problem.

We can’t just keep looking away. As college students and future leaders of this nation we need to make a stance in order to improve our society. We need to fix this problem now so all these young people can have a future.

Rosa Orihuela is a sophomore majoring in journalism and computer science. She may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...