Sports briefs 10/7

Volleyball

The Hurricanes Volleyball team comes back home this week after going 0-2 on their road trip through North Carolina, losing games against UNC and NC State. The Canes, currently 2-3 in the ACC and 12-4 overall, will take on 9-7 Georgia Tech on Friday night at 7 pm and 11-5 Clemson on Sunday afternoon at 1 pm. The game against Georgia Tech will also be a Hurricane Force Event, so students who swipe in are eligible to receive four points for attending.

Soccer

After coming away with a 3-0 road victory against the Clemson Tigers last week, the Canes will be back at Cobb Field on Thursday Night to face the Duke Blue Devils. The Canes currently stand at 7-3-1, including 1-1 in the ACC. It will also be Breast Cancer Awareness Night, with the players wearing special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game to benefit breast cancer research.

Women’s Basketball

Miami’s very own Shenise Johnson was named to the Wooden Preseason Top Thirty list on Tuesday afternoon. The award list is made up of 30 student-athletes who are the early frontrunners for the award based on last year’s performances. The award is considered the most prestigious individual honor in college basketball.

Golf

Senior Maria Ronderos earned her first top ten finish of this young season and the sixth of her career this past weekend at the USF Waterlefe Invitational on Tuesday. She finished the tournament tied for sixth with a score of six over par. Miami finished 17th in the tournament overall, and will next compete at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate hosted by East Carolina on Oct.11.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...