Sports briefs 10/7

Volleyball

The Hurricanes Volleyball team comes back home this week after going 0-2 on their road trip through North Carolina, losing games against UNC and NC State. The Canes, currently 2-3 in the ACC and 12-4 overall, will take on 9-7 Georgia Tech on Friday night at 7 pm and 11-5 Clemson on Sunday afternoon at 1 pm. The game against Georgia Tech will also be a Hurricane Force Event, so students who swipe in are eligible to receive four points for attending.

Soccer

After coming away with a 3-0 road victory against the Clemson Tigers last week, the Canes will be back at Cobb Field on Thursday Night to face the Duke Blue Devils. The Canes currently stand at 7-3-1, including 1-1 in the ACC. It will also be Breast Cancer Awareness Night, with the players wearing special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game to benefit breast cancer research.

Women’s Basketball

Miami’s very own Shenise Johnson was named to the Wooden Preseason Top Thirty list on Tuesday afternoon. The award list is made up of 30 student-athletes who are the early frontrunners for the award based on last year’s performances. The award is considered the most prestigious individual honor in college basketball.

Golf

Senior Maria Ronderos earned her first top ten finish of this young season and the sixth of her career this past weekend at the USF Waterlefe Invitational on Tuesday. She finished the tournament tied for sixth with a score of six over par. Miami finished 17th in the tournament overall, and will next compete at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate hosted by East Carolina on Oct.11.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...