Soccer

Senior defends on field, scores in classroom

Senior defender Brittany MacDonald plays during the FSU game September 26. Chelsea Matiash//The Miami Hurricane

If you’re not at a Miami Hurricane soccer game, the next most likely setting to find senior defender Brittney Macdonald is either the stacks at the Richter Library or the Starbucks right across from it.

That’s because outside the Cobb Stadium soccer field, she spends most of her time either studying or sipping coffee to get her caffeine dosage to stay awake and alert in order to study some more.

When you combine her hectic soccer practice and travel schedule with a 3.84 GPA as a biology major, and then account for the fact that she works with the doctors on the medical campus to gain experience, you don’t get much time left over for sleep.

“You learn what your priorities are,” said Macdonald about her time management. “And if you really want to pursue both of them, you’ll make time to work it out.”

Tricia Taliaferro, now in her ninth season as head women’s soccer coach, has not failed to recognize her dedication to both academics and athletics.

“She’s so mature in the way she handles her workload,” Taliaferro said. “Every time I see her, if it’s on travel or anytime it’s her break, she’s studying to fill that space.”

As a player, Macdonald, who sports the number 14 jersey, has anchored the team’s stout defense since her freshman year. In 2007, she led the team with, ironically enough, 2,007 minutes played.

“Her leadership role actually started her sophomore year when the team voted her as  captain,” Taliaferro said. “She leads by example, does all the extra work, and anytime there’s a younger player that needs help, she gives her guidance.”

Macdonald, however, is not satisfied. She says this year, as a senior, she wants to take a more active role on the offensive end and has set a personal mission of scoring three goals on the year, which would double her career total. She currently has two and ACC play is just underway.

Taliaferro acknowledges Macdonald’s abilities with the ball in the air and said she’ll try to set her up on some crosses. Macdonald already scored her first goal of the season on a header earlier this month against Kent State at the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament.

“As a team, we definitely want to make it into the NCAA Tournament and make it through the second round,” said Macdonald on her expectations for this season. “And also finish top five in the ACC.”

Macdonald and the Canes battle Duke Thursday at Cobb Stadium. The game is at 7:30 p.m.

David Furones may be contacted at dfurones@themiamihurricane.com.

David Furones

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...