Mosquing hatred with argument

I hereby offer my support to any Iraqi legislation that bans the construction of churches within a six-and-half block perimeter (you say arbitrary, I say justice) around any area where innocent Iraqi civilians died. No more churches. Without any just cause, the Christians attacked and invaded a sovereign state.

I can already hear the uproarious indignation. “Christian principles did not cause us to invade Iraq. It was a political decision!” Well, I’ve heard many American Christians argue that our country was founded on Judeo-Christian morality. They insist that without Christianity, our democratic system could not function. They draw connections between Christianity and a devotion to individual liberty. So either Christianity is to blame for the war, or we should NOT consider Christianity an essential component of our political system.

I’m sorry. I can’t go on. It’s very difficult to draw out this irrational, idiotic debate. Of course, the world’s two-three billion Christians were not responsible for the invasion of Iraq. Over a billion Muslims should not be held accountable for the attacks on 9/11.  Are New Yorkers offended by the presence of mosques? Well, polls say that they are. Would churches near war sites offend many Iraqis? I haven’t seen polling, but I’d assume that’s a safe assumption.

Nevertheless, the whole point of freedom of religion or freedom of speech is to allow for autonomy, despite risks that certain people find such religions or speech offensive. I have the freedom to satirically argue (or legitimately argue) for the banning of churches, despite the fact that most Americans would probably not shake my hand after reading this article.

For me there are two necessary issues to consider in this discussion: The moral issue and the practical issue. I believe it is immoral to discriminate based on religion.

Pragmatically, it doesn’t make sense to allow something as trivial as the location of a mosque, to become a part of Al Qaeda’s propaganda. Why do they hate us? Even if you think opposition to the mosque is unrelated to American feelings toward Muslims, I’m sure you can recognize that people can present opposition to the mosque in that context.

Soon after the attack, the streets of Islamabad, Tehran, and Cairo were filled with sympathetic Muslims who cried and prayed for the American dead. Innocent Muslims died on September 11. Opponents to the mosque dishonor their memory. That is my argument.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Mosquing hatred with argument”

1. Arafat says:

Josh,

You might try thinking about this somewhat differently.

* Jesus said, “Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s and unto God that which is God’s.” This established something of a separation of church and state, albeit not always practiced terrifically well.

* Mohammed did the opposite. He grabbed power wherever he could. He was the ultimate theocrat, i.e., controlling the religion, the government, the judiciary and even the social mores of the time. His legacy lives on, as it’s clear Islam is not just a religion but is a total approach to life…and a completely intolerant approach to life, too.

* Churches are anathema in most Muslim countries. No churches are allowed in several Muslim churches. Destruction of existing churches is a common occurrence even in “moderate” Muslim countries like Indonesia and Malaysia.

* Our reaction to the GZM was more complicated than you present in your editorial. Our response included some of what I’ve written above, but also a sense that Islam is an inherently aggressive, hypocritical and mean-spirited animal that Americans are rightly troubled by.

* Here is a statistical list enumerating just one reason American ambivalence toward Islam is becoming an increasingly pronounced issue. Islam is MORE than what you infer it to be.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/index.html#attacks

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...