ICEE machine delayed

Sneha Lalla, sophomore, enjoys a blue raspberry icee. ICEE machines were not installed in the campus convenience store this past Monday, but students will have to wear a little longer. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Sneha Lalla, sophomore, enjoys a blue raspberry icee. ICEE machines were not installed in the campus convenience store this past Monday, but students will have to wear a little longer. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

Students and faculty were disappointed to find that the much-anticipated ICEE machines were not installed in the campus convenience store Monday. As promised in the UFirst campaign, Student Government (SG) worked with Auxiliary Services to bring ICEEs to UM, but an installation snag is making students wait a little longer.

The unanticipated setback had SG officers scrambling for answers to offer the disgruntled masses. An electrical issue set back the delivery date for the machines. However, the project’s kinks were resolved promptly and the machines are due to be installed this Thursday with a launch plan for Friday.

“Unfortunately, they did not complete the electrical [work]Friday afternoon, so it was completed [Monday] morning,” said Ana Alvarez from Dining Services. “This caused the delay, although I do not expect it to be delayed much longer.”

The project, one of SG’s many initiatives to improve campus life, has become popular via the group’s Facebook page, receiving many “Likes” and arousing comments from excited students.

“I’m excited for the project,” junior Michael Kaplan said. “I’ve always needed a place nearby to get my slushie on, and now I found that magical place, and it is right here on campus.”

The ICEE machines will be installed in the C-Store and will feature flavors including blue raspberry, coke and red cherry. After a vote on The Miami Hurricane Web site, pink lemonade was chosen as the fourth ICEE flavor available in the C-Store.

“I can’t wait until they’re installed,” freshman Lina Rodriguez said. “Nothing like a cherry ICEE on a hot day!”

Though many students are disappointed about the machines’ absence this week, the enthusiasm runs high.

“[The ICEE machines] are the highlight of my semester,” junior Jenessy Rodriguez said.

Student government assures students that the delay was unforeseen, but that the project will be well worth the wait.

“I apologize for the inconvenience. As you can imagine, any time we are dealing with a construction project, we are bound to run into some obstacles along the way,” Alvarez said. “I know how patient everyone has been through this process.”

Follow SG on Facebook and Twitter (UMiamiSG) for updates and visit the SG Web site at www.miami.edu/SG.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “ICEE machine delayed”

1. WTF? says:

Slow news day at the U???

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...