Summon, new federal search engine

A new federal search engine called Summon is making all the difference for the University of Miami community.

Students finally have access to an efficient search engine that provides results that apply directly to their subject matter.

“I have always hated doing research for my writing intensive classes,” sophomore Melissa Berkowitz said. “I used Summon for my first paper of the year and cut my researching hours in half! It is so organized and easy to use, I think it definitely made a difference in my grade on the paper.”

The Summon search box, located at the top of the Otto G. Richter Library’s Web site, and therefore widely accessible, can search across disciplines and formats instantly. Results are ranked in a single list, unlike the old system where results were ranked by relevance only within each database, instead of one clean, compiled list.

Scott Britton, a spokesperson for the Richter Library said Summon is a big help for everyone who wants a broad, simple search on a topic “without requiring people to know which databases are most appropriate for the subject.”

Summon has access to more than five million records, including the library books and most major journal publishers.

Danielle Landau may be contacted at dlandau@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Landau

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...