Students choose a musical lifestyle

Sophomore Jake Wasserman lives in the Audio Abode special interest housing on the second floor of Eaton. Wasserman, who is shown sleeping with his electric bass, is a music engineering major and also plays the tuba. Brown//Photo Editor

Drumbeats and ukulele solos echo through the halls of Eaton’s second floor, home of the Audio Abode.

Junior Sharif Ahmed, president of the floor, got 18 students together to create the Abode, a kind of special interest housing, last year.

“I like having all my friends around and the ability to put on music programming,” Ahmed said.

Though the majority of the students are music engineering technology majors, a few non-music majors chose to live on the floor.

“I wanted to be with friends who like music because I don’t get the chance to interact with them in my other classes,” said sophomore Joe Kleiman, a meteorology major.

Sophomore Haylie Schroeder, the floor liaison, is a nursing major.

“I play guitar and write music. I figured living on a floor with music people would help me learn more about it,” she said.

Because the Audio Abode’s musical talents range from tenor sax to bass guitar, there is a wide variety of music programming. The floor is having its first open mic night Oct. 7 at 8 p.m. in the Eaton lobby. Though this event has been planned for weeks, much of the music the students make happens sporadically in the dorms.

“We have jam sessions multiple times a week,” sophomore Matt Kyrpie said.

In addition to jam sessions, Schroeder said the floor has monthly group dinners and has attended laser light shows at the Miami Science Museum’s planetarium.

Though the floor is only in its first year, it has already looked into some ambitious projects. Sophomore Jake Wasserman, the floor’s vice president, already has the floor’s future planned out.

“We divvied up the floor into bands, and we are planning to release an Audio Abode compilation CD at the end of the year,” Wasserman said.

Though the constant stream of music would upset some students, the Audio Abode revels in the noise.

“Our floor t-shirts say ‘Where Music Never Sleeps.’ It’s true,” Schroeder said.

Kylie Banks may be contacted at

Info Box:

Audio Abode’s Programming

Open Mic Night:

Oct. 7 in the Eaton Lobby at 8 p.m.

To sign up, stop by the Eaton Lobby

Kylie Banks may be contacted at

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

Kevin Arreaga set a school record as the University of Miami track and field program opened its 2018 ...

Miami put the tying run on base in the ninth inning, but fell to host No. 23 Duke, 4-3... ...

Despite a promising start and a strong finish, the University of Miami women's tennis team fell ...

The Hurricanes fell in dramatic fashion to Loyola Chicago in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. ...

The University of Miami rowing team will open its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invit ...