Sports briefs 10/4

Women’s soccer

The women’s soccer team got its first ACC win of the season with its 3-0 win over the Clemson Tigers at Riggs Field in South Carolina. Senior Brittney Steinbruch’s assist in the 58th minute tied her with Britney Butcher as the program’s all-time leading scorer with 73 points. The Canes will play at Cobb Field on Thursday against the Duke Blue Devils.

Women’s tennis

The women’s tennis team kicked off one of college tennis’ biggest events of the year, the 2010 ITA/Riviera All-American Championship, on Saturday. Junior Gabriela Mejia and freshman Kayla Rizzolo were both unable to make it out of the prequalifying singles round. They were still set up to play doubles, however. The tournament is scheduled to conclude Sunday.

Cross-country

Freshmen Connor Adams and Brooke Dovell had successful races once again as the Canes came back from competing in the Ninth Annual Greater Louisville Classic. Dovell ran the 5K course in 18:23.88, and the men all managed to improve on their 8K times. The Canes will be off and running again on Oct.15 at Statson’s Hatter Invitational.

Swimming and diving

The swimming and diving team kicked off its season Friday at the Florida Invitational in Gainesville. After one day of action, the women’s swimming team sat in third place, with its best showing of the day coming on the 400-yard medley relay, where the Canes beat last year’s personal best time, finishing in 3:45.14.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports briefs 10/4”

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...