News briefs 10/4

Knight Center named finalist for award

The Knight Center for International Media at the University of Miami School of Communication has been named a finalist for the Online News Association’s prestigious 2010 Online Journalism Award for its “My Story, My Goal” project that looks at global issues such as poverty and education in Africa and Asia. The Knight Center is competing against Syracuse University for the top prize in the Online Video Journalism, student category.

Locks of Love

LINK will be giving haircuts for Locks of Love on Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in UC Ballroom B.

Filmmaker to visit

Filmmaker Kelley Baker will lecture on micro-budget filmmaking and alternative marketing and distribution methods Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. at the Cosford Cinema. A screening of his most recent film “Kicking Bird” will follow at 12:20 p.m.

Invisible Children screening

On Tuesday at 8:45 p.m. the Invisible Children face-to-face tour will screen a film about the war in Uganda and someone will speak about their experiences living in the middle of the conflict. Free food and drinks will be served. Contact invisiblechildrenum@gmail.com with questions.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...