Fanatical frenzies deemed futile

People love to camp out. Instead of enjoying the outdoors, however, most camping trips actually entail waiting lines for anything from movies to video games.

Life is one big wait in line, but certain individuals love to show their support and fanboy-ism by shaving off even more of their already compromised days to give companies their hard earned money and be amongst “the first” to indulge in whatever is being offered.

Being “the first” is a bit of a misnomer, however, because if you go to see the midnight showing of Harry Potter at your local theater, you are only at one of many theaters in the country also showing that same film. And when you dress up as a Hogwarts student, people aren’t applauding your efforts, but acknowledging that there’s a reason you haven’t been laid recently. Not to mention these movies were filmed months, or even years in advance, so before you’ve even laid eyes upon it or heard about the project, others have already seen the film and moved on.

Lining up for the newest iPhone or video game is pretty counter intuitive too. You think you’re showing your support and love for your favorite products, but the media will show these acts truthfully: as a mass gathering for the unemployed.

If you’re waiting in line for the newest Xbox, you should know by now the first generation of any console is susceptible to hardware flaws and will probably become an expensive brick within a year.

This silly conduct encourages major production countries like China to ramp up their work efforts and slash wages. Top executives at these companies laugh their way to the bank while the consumers wallow in debt, buying things they can’t afford and realizing only after it’s too late, after the novelty has worn thin.

I love the iPhone too, but I’m not going to lose days of sleep sitting in front of a strip mall to obtain one; it’s not the Holy Grail after all.

Evan Seaman is a senior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...