CampusLIVE.com: simplifying student life

Ever wonder what it would be like to have access to all things going on around your college campus at once?

Now you can with the help of CampusLIVE.com. Launched only a year and a half ago, CampusLIVE includes 225 college campus profiles and plans to reach 500 by the end of the month. The site is created for students by students and has all your college needs in one place. You can find out information ranging from what restaurants deliver late during a midnight study break or who is in your organic chemistry class.

“It is a convenient page for students on campus to connect with each other,” said Ryan Durkin, co-founder of CampusLIVE.

He and Boris Revsin, graduates from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, came up with the idea, using a format similar to Facebook.

“We are not competing with Facebook, but rather using it as a leverage,” Durkin said.

The thing that sets CampusLIVE apart is that users do not have to be a registered member to use it or to view other user’s profiles. After creating a registered profile, the Web site links users to their friends who have both a Facebook account and a CampusLIVE account. It also provides customized links based on the user’s interests, which include Web sites like miami.edu, UMail, Blackboard, MyUM, Richter Library, Hurricanesports.com and a map of campus.

Like on other social networks, CampusLIVE users will be able to post comments using a live feed. They can also customize their homepage, linking to favorite Web sites.

CampusLIVE’s homepage also has the latest breaking news stories, weather forecasts and personalized to-do lists.

“I would and I have suggested other students try this site because I think it is a very helpful tool in providing all the commonly visited links for the school on hand in one area,” sophomore Shersil Prentice said. “My favorite thing is definitely the TV Guide link. But honestly, I love absolutely everything about it. It really is a very viable tool.”

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com.

Olivia Woolbright

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “CampusLIVE.com: simplifying student life”

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...