Album review: “Hands All Over” not memorable

Courtesy Flickr

“Hands All Over,” Maroon 5’s latest album, rarely strays from the styles with which the band has achieved so much success. Its best numbers are not particularly memorable and have a sort of paint-by-numbers feel, but familiarity is better than the few times Adam Levine and company dare to try something new.

“Out of Goodbyes,” the band’s collaboration with Lady Antebellum, is sure to have its fans, but it seems weirdly jarring when compared to the rest of the album.  The only song that screams “legendary” like “Harder to Breathe” or “This Love” is “Misery,” the album’s first single and the catchiest song.

Maroon 5 is at its best when it sticks to what it knows. Their outrageously sensual, guitar-driven funk is fantastic, but the ballads are surprisingly slow and nothing, save for “Misery,” is particularly thrilling. Sadly enough for Maroon 5 fans everywhere, “Hands All Over” probably wasn’t worth the three-year wait.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 2/4 stars

Release Date: Sept. 21
Producer: Robert John “Mutt” Lange
Label: A&M/Octone

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...