Album review: “Hands All Over” not memorable

Courtesy Flickr

“Hands All Over,” Maroon 5’s latest album, rarely strays from the styles with which the band has achieved so much success. Its best numbers are not particularly memorable and have a sort of paint-by-numbers feel, but familiarity is better than the few times Adam Levine and company dare to try something new.

“Out of Goodbyes,” the band’s collaboration with Lady Antebellum, is sure to have its fans, but it seems weirdly jarring when compared to the rest of the album.  The only song that screams “legendary” like “Harder to Breathe” or “This Love” is “Misery,” the album’s first single and the catchiest song.

Maroon 5 is at its best when it sticks to what it knows. Their outrageously sensual, guitar-driven funk is fantastic, but the ballads are surprisingly slow and nothing, save for “Misery,” is particularly thrilling. Sadly enough for Maroon 5 fans everywhere, “Hands All Over” probably wasn’t worth the three-year wait.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 2/4 stars

Release Date: Sept. 21
Producer: Robert John “Mutt” Lange
Label: A&M/Octone

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...