9/11 memorial falls short

This year’s memorial for the tragedies of Sept. 11 did not leave the impression that many were hoping for.

Leslie Gale, who was in charge of organizing the Day of Remembrance on University of Miami campus for 9/11 victims, said the organization would do the event differently in 2011. This year, unlike previous years, the event was not held on the day of the tragedy nine years ago, but instead the day before, Friday Sept. 10.

According to Laura R. Stott, Director of Student Activities and Organizations, said the event was held on the day before because Sept. 11 landed on a Saturday, when the UM also had a football game.

Gale felt the change would lead to more students participating. The event lasted all day as students could pay their respects when it fit into their schedule.

This year’s low-key approach consisted of an on-going display and video with some interactive components for students to take a part in. There was a banner for students to sign along with a candle to light on the evening of Sept. 11.

“A lot of students stopped by this year. I couldn’t give you an actual number but I am happy we put it on Friday instead of over the weekend, “ Gale said.

This is the second year Gale has run the event.  Gale said the format of the event would return to the way it was the past eight years.  She continued to say even though UM students came out and showed their support, the past eight years have had better results.

Christian Gonzalez, a junior at the UM, enjoyed the experience but felt it was not the same because it was the day before.

“This was the first year, I was able to attend the event but it did not hold the same weight as events on television that are held on the day of Sept. 11,“ Gonzalez said.

Sean Leonardo may be contacted at sleonardo@themiamihurricane.com.

Sean Leonardo

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...