Student government special column

Senate met Wednesday to swear in 15 brand new Senators in addition to returning members. The agenda included a vote to accept the referendum passed last week, as well as to co-sponsor an Alpha Phi Alpha event. Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick will be meeting with UM Student Government leaders for the second time in less than a month when he attends next week’s Senate meeting, Oct. 6 at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms.

Student Government has also been getting technical. Starting with the new SG Web site this summer, Student Government has turned its eyes now toward myUM, working with IT to release a new ACE Degree Audit report system that is now available, as well as new myUM course search options soon to come.

SG isn’t getting too technical, though, with what can be described as “an underground, old-school version of the blog.” Found on the back of bathroom stall doors, “The Leak” is a new weekly posting put out by Student Government. Besides providing some reading material and dry wit, each “log” seeks to reach out and keep students aware of what SG is doing. Look for the next log of “The Leak” in a bathroom near you.

Installation began early this week on two ICEE machines which will finally be coming to the C-Store. Students will be able to start buying ICEEs beginning Monday. For students looking for a slightly healthier option, the first Fresh Farmer’s Market will be hitting campus Oct. 13 by the green. Fresh, locally-grown fruit and vegetables will be available for sale, with plans to definitely continue this on a regular basis.

Ryan Aquilina is the Student Government Press Secretary and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu.

Authors

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...