Student government special column

Senate met Wednesday to swear in 15 brand new Senators in addition to returning members. The agenda included a vote to accept the referendum passed last week, as well as to co-sponsor an Alpha Phi Alpha event. Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick will be meeting with UM Student Government leaders for the second time in less than a month when he attends next week’s Senate meeting, Oct. 6 at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms.

Student Government has also been getting technical. Starting with the new SG Web site this summer, Student Government has turned its eyes now toward myUM, working with IT to release a new ACE Degree Audit report system that is now available, as well as new myUM course search options soon to come.

SG isn’t getting too technical, though, with what can be described as “an underground, old-school version of the blog.” Found on the back of bathroom stall doors, “The Leak” is a new weekly posting put out by Student Government. Besides providing some reading material and dry wit, each “log” seeks to reach out and keep students aware of what SG is doing. Look for the next log of “The Leak” in a bathroom near you.

Installation began early this week on two ICEE machines which will finally be coming to the C-Store. Students will be able to start buying ICEEs beginning Monday. For students looking for a slightly healthier option, the first Fresh Farmer’s Market will be hitting campus Oct. 13 by the green. Fresh, locally-grown fruit and vegetables will be available for sale, with plans to definitely continue this on a regular basis.

Ryan Aquilina is the Student Government Press Secretary and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu.

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...