Student government special column

Senate met Wednesday to swear in 15 brand new Senators in addition to returning members. The agenda included a vote to accept the referendum passed last week, as well as to co-sponsor an Alpha Phi Alpha event. Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick will be meeting with UM Student Government leaders for the second time in less than a month when he attends next week’s Senate meeting, Oct. 6 at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms.

Student Government has also been getting technical. Starting with the new SG Web site this summer, Student Government has turned its eyes now toward myUM, working with IT to release a new ACE Degree Audit report system that is now available, as well as new myUM course search options soon to come.

SG isn’t getting too technical, though, with what can be described as “an underground, old-school version of the blog.” Found on the back of bathroom stall doors, “The Leak” is a new weekly posting put out by Student Government. Besides providing some reading material and dry wit, each “log” seeks to reach out and keep students aware of what SG is doing. Look for the next log of “The Leak” in a bathroom near you.

Installation began early this week on two ICEE machines which will finally be coming to the C-Store. Students will be able to start buying ICEEs beginning Monday. For students looking for a slightly healthier option, the first Fresh Farmer’s Market will be hitting campus Oct. 13 by the green. Fresh, locally-grown fruit and vegetables will be available for sale, with plans to definitely continue this on a regular basis.

Ryan Aquilina is the Student Government Press Secretary and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu.

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...