Sports briefs 9/30

Golf

Senior Maria Ronderos placed in the top 15 overall for the first time this season as the Hurricanes returned from the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic on Tuesday.  Senior Christina Hirano also placed in the top 40 in the tournament, which was shortened due to bad weather. The Canes will compete this weekend at Waterlefe Classic in Bradenton, Fl.

Volleyball

After finishing their home stand this past weekend with wins against Virginia Tech and Virginia, the 12-2 Hurricanes will hit the road this weekend, traveling to North Carolina to face the 12-4 North Carolina Tar Heels on Friday night and the 11-4 NC State Wolfpack on Sunday afternoon.  The Canes are 2-1 in ACC play, with their one loss coming against Florida State.

Soccer

The Soccer team aims to rebound from their loss against Florida State this weekend when they will travel to South Carolina to take on the Clemson Tigers.  The Canes, who are 6-3-1, will look to improve their ACC record. They will be back next weekend to face the Duke Blue Devils at home on Oct.7.

Women’s Tennis

Assistant women’s tennis coach Jeff Thomsen was named associate head coach on Wednesday by head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. Thomsen is in his fourth year with the Hurricanes, and has helped the team to advance to the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of his years.  He will still contribute in recruiting, player development, and day-to-say operations.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...