Frat helps a brother out

On Sunday, the Sigma Chi fraternity will host a fundraising event to benefit Mike Bakutes, a brother on medical leave for the semester after being diagnosed with a jaw tumor.

Gabe Adelman, vice president of UM’s chapter of Sigma Chi and Bakutes’ close friend and roommate, collaborated with a group of brothers to organize the event. They contacted parents of students in Sigma Chi and local businesses for donations and sponsorships; they expect around 500 participants for Sunday’s tournament.

“We were able to get a strong showing from not only parents and local businesses, but also students at the University of Miami, as well as Sigma Chi brothers from other chapters around the whole nation,” Adelman said.

Bakutes was diagnosed with Juvenile Ossifying Fibroma, a rare tumor that has the potential to spread beyond his jaw. He will be treated surgically over the next six months and hopes to return to Miami for the spring semester.

“We’re a very tight-knit group of people,” Sigma Chi President Taylor Morrow said. “When we heard about Mike, we all wanted to do something for him because we want what’s best for him.”

Senior Jeremy Turin, another Sigma Chi brother, had the idea to start this fundraiser when he received an e-mail over the summer informing him of Bakutes’ illness. He and his friends wanted to organize a large-scale event to raise money for Bakutes, yet he was surprised by the response he received from the UM community.

“It’s been more work than we expected because the response has been at least 500 percent bigger than what we anticipated,” Turin said. “It’s been really overwhelming to see that everyone is trying to help out.”

Half the proceeds of the tournament will be donated to Bakutes’ family to offset medical costs; the other half will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, per the family’s request. Sigma Chi has already raised about $3,000 in donations.

“It really brings joy to me, as well as the Bakutes family, to see this kind of support from the community and is a testament to the character of the people at the school as well as around it,” Adelman said.

Dana Hatic may be contacted at dhatic@themiamihurricane.com.

Dana Hatic

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...