Frat helps a brother out

On Sunday, the Sigma Chi fraternity will host a fundraising event to benefit Mike Bakutes, a brother on medical leave for the semester after being diagnosed with a jaw tumor.

Gabe Adelman, vice president of UM’s chapter of Sigma Chi and Bakutes’ close friend and roommate, collaborated with a group of brothers to organize the event. They contacted parents of students in Sigma Chi and local businesses for donations and sponsorships; they expect around 500 participants for Sunday’s tournament.

“We were able to get a strong showing from not only parents and local businesses, but also students at the University of Miami, as well as Sigma Chi brothers from other chapters around the whole nation,” Adelman said.

Bakutes was diagnosed with Juvenile Ossifying Fibroma, a rare tumor that has the potential to spread beyond his jaw. He will be treated surgically over the next six months and hopes to return to Miami for the spring semester.

“We’re a very tight-knit group of people,” Sigma Chi President Taylor Morrow said. “When we heard about Mike, we all wanted to do something for him because we want what’s best for him.”

Senior Jeremy Turin, another Sigma Chi brother, had the idea to start this fundraiser when he received an e-mail over the summer informing him of Bakutes’ illness. He and his friends wanted to organize a large-scale event to raise money for Bakutes, yet he was surprised by the response he received from the UM community.

“It’s been more work than we expected because the response has been at least 500 percent bigger than what we anticipated,” Turin said. “It’s been really overwhelming to see that everyone is trying to help out.”

Half the proceeds of the tournament will be donated to Bakutes’ family to offset medical costs; the other half will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, per the family’s request. Sigma Chi has already raised about $3,000 in donations.

“It really brings joy to me, as well as the Bakutes family, to see this kind of support from the community and is a testament to the character of the people at the school as well as around it,” Adelman said.

Dana Hatic may be contacted at dhatic@themiamihurricane.com.

Dana Hatic

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...