Flippin’ U Out Week

Members of the University of Miami’s Filipino Students Association (FSA) know from experience that imitating a bird is not always a simple task. It is easy enough to stand on one leg like a flamingo or waddle like a penguin, but jumping in and out of beating sticks like a tinikling trying to escape a rice farmer’s bamboo traps presents more of a challenge.

As part of Flippin’ U Out Week, Oct. 4 – Oct. 8, FSA will host a dance clinic aimed at teaching participants how to master the swift moves of the native Filipino tinikling bird.

Junior Jem Delos Santos, the vice president of membership for FSA, said the best event of the week will undoubtedly be the Tinikling Clinic, scheduled to take place at 7 p.m. Oct. 5 on the UC Patio.

“The biggest selling point for our club is definitely when people see us dancing with the sticks;  that always draws attention,” Delos Santos said.

Mag Ka Isa, translated to “together as one”, is the name of FSA’s tinikling dance group that will teach the clinic. New members of FSA have already begun dance practices in order to prepare for the event.

FSA was founded in 1996 and has hosted Flippin’ U Out Week every October in commemoration of Filipino-American Heritage Month since 2000. The purpose of the week is to express the close-knit family ties that are an important characteristic to Philippine culture through events that will include games, dancing and food.

“FSA is family, and in truth, many of our events and programs revolve around this idea,” said senior Rhea Olegario, the FSA president. “The things that make up a family are the people, the activities that they do together and the food that they all eat. Flippin’ U Out Week does that.”

With approximately 20 members, FSA will kick off the festivities of Flippin’ U Out Week with karaoke at 6 p.m. on Oct. 4 in UC Ballroom A.

“If there are two things that any Filipino household hosting a party would have, they would be an excess amount of good Filipino food and karaoke,” Olegario said.

To complete the party, Flippin’ U Out Week will dedicate not one but two days to Philippine cuisine. There will be a Ramen Noodle Power Hour at 7 p.m. on Oct. 7 in the UC Ballroom B and a selection of Filipino dishes at the following evening.

The Ramen Noodle Power Hour has always been a part of Flippin’ U Out Week. Participants must pay a $3 entry fee. The goal is to eat as many bowls of Ramen as possible in one hour and the winner will receive a prize.

“Everyone likes Ramen,” said sophomore Vanessa Baldos, vice president of special events. “You get a choice of flavors before you start and we heat up water to make more bowls while everyone is eating. Sometimes we have people asking for the spicy flavors!”

Other FSA food favorites, such as Philippine stir fry called pancit and Philippine spring rolls called lumpia, will be served at the Flippin’ U Out closing banquet at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 8 in the UC Ballroom B. Filipino games will also be played at the banquet, but Baldos confessed that they are a surprise.

For more information on Flippin’ U Out Week, look out for flyers around campus and on the list-serv. Send an e-mail to role1011@gmail.com or j.delossantos1@umiami.edu if you are interested in joining FSA. Dues are $10 and all are welcome.

Hannah Romig may be contacted at hromig@themiamihurricane.com.

Hannah Romig

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...