Well Permanently Plugged, While BP Shakes Blame for Spill

It has been five months since the explosion of the BP drilling rig exploded, killing eleven workers and causing massive environmental damage. Since then, the government and BP have taken steps to plug the well that continued to leak on the floor of the Gulf. On Friday, Sept. 17, the government’s representative in charge of the event, Thad Allen, stated that the well had been effectively and permanently plugged. Although this is progress toward resolving the issue, the hardship is far from over.

The environment of the areas surrounding the Gulf Coast is still suffering from the spill, which dumped millions of gallons of oil into the water. Oil continues to wash up onto the coast, and fishermen are suffering because tourists do not believe that the seafood from the area is safe for consumption. Also, money and jobs are being lost in the area because the government has temporarily stopped drilling in the Gulf so companies can set up regulations for drilling safety.

You may ask yourself, who is to blame for this environmental disaster? In early September, BP released an internal investigation into the incident, which is posted on the Web site. The summary of the report states that “a sequence of failures and a number of different parties led to the explosion.”

There has been much controversy, especially in the hands of the federal government, concerning this report. The chairman of the Energy and Environmental Subcommittee, Ed Markey, made a statement shortly after the report was released questioning its credibility. In the report, BP places the blame for the incident on many different companies and workers, rather than stating that the company shares a large part of the blame in the many errors that led to the disaster.

With many local families living in the Gulf Coast suffering because of this incident, BP should be respected for taking the blame for the failure to the fullest extent, and helping in every way possible to resolve the matter. We must question whether BP deserves our business, especially after the company has relinquished the majority of the blame for the environmental catastrophe that resulted in the deaths of eleven people, as well as the dumping of 206 million gallons of oil into the ocean.

Alanna Zunski is a freshman majoring in English. She may be contacted at azunski@themiamihurricane.com.

Alanna Zunski

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...