Sports briefs 9/27

Football

The game time for next week’s match-up between the Hurricanes and the Clemson Tigers has been set for noon on Saturday. The game can be caught on ESPN2 and ESPN 3D.

Women’s Tennis

The Lady Canes opened up their season at the Miami Fall Invitational this past weekend, where they had a dominating performance, winning 20 of 21 matches.  The Canes swept through their singles matches, going 15-0 including three wins by senior Bianca Eichkorn, who is currently ranked No.14 in the nation.  The Canes will begin preparing for next weekend’s ITA/Riviera All-American Championships, held in California.

Men’s Tennis

After beginning his freshman campaign winning his first four matches, newcomer Gabriel Flores suffered his first loss in the semifinals of the Southern Intercollegiates Sunday afternoon.  He fell to Vanderbilt’s Alex Zotov in the final two sets, losing both 6-2.  The Hurricanes picked up 14 wins in their first weekend of competition. They will next compete in the All-American Championships in Oklahoma starting on Oct.4.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com
Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...