Soccer, Sports

Seminoles snap the Canes’ win streak

Freshman Blake Stockton, forward, kicks the ball away from Florida State University’s sophomore defender Tiana Brockway. The Canes, however, lost 2-0 in the last few minutes of the game.Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

The University of Miami (6-3-1) opened up ACC play with a 2-0 loss against in-state rivals No.13 Florida State University (6-2-0), breaking a four game winning streak for the Hurricanes.

“It’s still early in the ACC and there’s plenty of time so we’ll continue to build off like we did in non-conference play,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said.

The Seminoles opened up the scoring in the 12th minute when Kassey Kallman crossed the ball to Rachel Lim, who volleyed the ball back into the area for Tori Huster to finish the play with a touch to the back of the net.

“Throughout the game after they got that goal we knew the keys to the game,” senior Brittney Macdonald said. “We just wanted to turn it around, because we’ve been successful coming back in games when we’ve fallen behind early.”

In the 37th minute, freshman Blake Stockton had a great chance when she pressured the FSU goalie Kelsey Wys, who kicked the ball straight at Stockton. Wys was able to recover in time before Stockton could get to the deflection in the box.

The game continued to be close, with Miami coming out more aggressively in the second half. Both teams had nine shots and both junior Vikki Alonzo and Wys recorded three saves for their respective teams.

“I thought we did really well and we’ve done the same thing as far as the season,” Taliaferro said. “Our mentality is really good. We push and are hard working.”

The Hurricanes’ greatest scoring opportunity was in the 66th minute when freshman Tara Schwitter got a shot off in the box that was blocked by Wys.

“We couldn’t get one in the back of the net,” Macdonald said. “But I thought we responded pretty well.”

Junior Ashlee Burt received a yellow card in the 66th minute in a game in which Miami recorded 19 fouls compared to five for the Seminoles.

“We know Florida State doesn’t want to be touched so of course we marked them hard and played their game tough,” Macdonald said.

Freshman Kelley Griffin had her own chance in the 78th minute with another shot that was saved by Wys. Alonzo countered with her own great save of a shot by Seminole Breezy Hupp in the 83rd minute.

Injuries plagued Miami throughout the game. Sophomore Kim Hutchinson left the game in the first half but was able to return in the second half. Singer was also injured in the second half but was able to return later in the game.

Senior Barbara Blocker and sophomore Kate Howarth both left the field with injuries. Blocker is still waiting to be evaluated while Howarth, Miami’s second leading scorer with four goals, broke her ankle and will miss the rest of the season.

Miami held strong until the 88th minute, when Amanda Da Costa blasted a ball past Alonzo off a cross by Janine Cayman to make the score 2-0.

The Hurricanes will seek their first ACC victory at Clemson on Friday at 3 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...