How fast are the Hurry Cane shuttles hurrying?

If you live anywhere other than the on campus dorms, I am sure that you have noticed the recent restructuring of the UMiami Hurry Cane shuttle routes. Most people would agree that the shuttle system from the past few years was not great, but has the problem really been solved?

Richard Sobaram explains that “We asked ourselves what would be the best and most cost-efficient way of accomplishing our goals.” The new mentality of the parking and transportation department is that they want to get students within five minutes of their intended destination while simultaneously cutting costs.

However, these “goals” do not take costs to students into account. Students don’t want to walk five minutes to get to a bus stop in this Miami heat, in fact, I want to walk as little as possible when it involves getting to class. A five minute walk or less to and from the bus stop pretty much displaces any gains in efficiency that this new restructuring has resulted in just do the math.

Have you noticed less shuttles around campus? I have, it’s probably due to the fact that UMiami used to run 17 buses and now run only six. The reason: budget. Listen, I understand that times are tough, and yes we should do or part to stop global warming, but if you aren’t on a full ride to go here, then you’re pretty much getting hustled (no pun intended).

So, if your thinking about taking the shuttle from Stanford Circle to the UV, don’t be surprised when you have to get off at ponce garage and wait for another bus just to get there; but if you do, take a second to stop by the parking services office by the garage and voice your opinion too.

Michael Berliner is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering. He may be contacted at mberliner@themiamihurricane.com.

Michael Berliner

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...