How fast are the Hurry Cane shuttles hurrying?

If you live anywhere other than the on campus dorms, I am sure that you have noticed the recent restructuring of the UMiami Hurry Cane shuttle routes. Most people would agree that the shuttle system from the past few years was not great, but has the problem really been solved?

Richard Sobaram explains that “We asked ourselves what would be the best and most cost-efficient way of accomplishing our goals.” The new mentality of the parking and transportation department is that they want to get students within five minutes of their intended destination while simultaneously cutting costs.

However, these “goals” do not take costs to students into account. Students don’t want to walk five minutes to get to a bus stop in this Miami heat, in fact, I want to walk as little as possible when it involves getting to class. A five minute walk or less to and from the bus stop pretty much displaces any gains in efficiency that this new restructuring has resulted in just do the math.

Have you noticed less shuttles around campus? I have, it’s probably due to the fact that UMiami used to run 17 buses and now run only six. The reason: budget. Listen, I understand that times are tough, and yes we should do or part to stop global warming, but if you aren’t on a full ride to go here, then you’re pretty much getting hustled (no pun intended).

So, if your thinking about taking the shuttle from Stanford Circle to the UV, don’t be surprised when you have to get off at ponce garage and wait for another bus just to get there; but if you do, take a second to stop by the parking services office by the garage and voice your opinion too.

Michael Berliner is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering. He may be contacted at mberliner@themiamihurricane.com.

Michael Berliner

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “How fast are the Hurry Cane shuttles hurrying?”

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...