Downtown’s newest stop for live entertainment

Video Screen Shot by Jessica Hodder and Steven Levy

Looking for something new to do this weekend? For both music and dancing, Grand Central is the place. Right in the heart of Downtown Miami, this new club has something for every taste.

Grand Central opened last May after previewing its newly renovated building during the Winter Music Conference earlier in the year.

As Miami’s only mid-sized venue, it fills the gap left by Studio A when it closed in 2008.

Poplife, a local event hosting group, has worked to bring a wide variety of performers to the area since the venue’s debut. The group is co-owned by Aramis Larie, who is also the owner of Grand Central.

“Poplife has been throwing fun events for years, so it feels perfect that they now have Grand Central to host their stuff at,” said Christina Quinlan, a 19-year-old Miami Beach resident. “Since it opened this summer, I’ve been to four or five… unforgettable shows.”

Grand Central has hosted performances by DJs and artists ranging from Felix da Housecat to Major Lazer and, most recently, Crystal Castles.

Built next to the train tracks in an old railway station, the décor inside the club is not what one might expect.

With a substantial lounge area, large dance floor and floor-to-ceiling LED screen behind the stage, the interior is more chic than most clubs in the area.

“The lighting is good. They have strobe lights… I like the mood they set,” freshman Taylor Hall said.

The two bars on either side of the room ensure that there is little to no line for drinks, and often there are food vendors just outside for anyone who needs a pick-me-up. Also, the bathrooms have attendants.

“The music was good and there is plenty of space to sit down if you’re tired of dancing,” freshman Sara Marin said. “The extra amenities make it worthwhile to take the trip downtown.”

Worried about spending too much money? On most nights, the cover charge is $10, and generally $15 on special nights with cheaper pre-sale tickets available online. As an added bonus, the venue offers free valet parking, a novelty downtown, where parking in lots can run as high as $25.

Margaux Herrera can be contacted at mherrera@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Grand Central
WHERE: 697 N Miami Ave, Miami, FL 33136, (305) 377-2277

AGE: 18+ for girls, but it varies between 18+ and 21+ for guys, depending on the event.

COST: $10-15
MORE INFO: www.grandcentralmiami.com

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...