YouNiversity of Miami: Grovers

Your roommate might be one. That kid sitting next to you in biology? Maybe. That group of cute girls stumbling back at 3 a.m. into the freshman dorms? Definitely.

While during the day they may look and act just like anybody else, a different species has begun to rapidly evolve at our university – Grovers.

The Grove has been responsible for some of my favorite (blurry) Miami memories. The hyped-up legend of this cluster of bars and restaurants about ten minutes from campus is well known, even to first week freshman. Tavern, Barracudas, Crazy Pianos… the list is on going.

The truth, which I refused to accept as a first year student, is that it takes time and experience to really be able to sensibly enjoy the Grove. If you have a terrible fake I.D. (not that I condone using those, cough cough) stay away from Mr. Moes! If you don’t have an ID, go to Chicago’s for an 18+ environment, or to Oasis to smoke hookah instead. If you’re belligerent and drooling, it’d be better to catch a $10 dollar cab ride back to campus rather than pass out on the floor in another bar, vomit in the Cane Shuttle, or give the finger to a policeman. Trust me, they’re a lot less fun than Super Troopers makes them out to be.

All warning aside, you really do have to ‘Grove it up during your time here at UM. Going out on Tuesday/Thursdays is a long standing tradition, one that needs to be continued! Halloween in the Grove is one of the best events of the year, GreenStreet is a great place to take a breather with buddies, and the drinks offered at Fat Tuesdays or Wet Willies always lead to an interesting night.

And of course, the already beautiful girls that swarm our university dress up, powder up, and charge those cameras as they hit Cocowalk. Guys, it may only take us five minutes to go from playing Fifa in our boxers to fully ready to leave, but these girls spend hours and hours of preparation, and it shows. Ladies, speaking of which, my number is…

So long story short, the Grove is a place where you can get the true college experience; hitting bars and clubs with hundreds of people your own age, getting just a little bit tipsy, and making memories that will last you … the rest of the night. So find me on your first Thursday night Groving, and I’ll buy you a drink to toast the many Thursdays to come.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...