YouNiversity of Miami: Grovers

Your roommate might be one. That kid sitting next to you in biology? Maybe. That group of cute girls stumbling back at 3 a.m. into the freshman dorms? Definitely.

While during the day they may look and act just like anybody else, a different species has begun to rapidly evolve at our university – Grovers.

The Grove has been responsible for some of my favorite (blurry) Miami memories. The hyped-up legend of this cluster of bars and restaurants about ten minutes from campus is well known, even to first week freshman. Tavern, Barracudas, Crazy Pianos… the list is on going.

The truth, which I refused to accept as a first year student, is that it takes time and experience to really be able to sensibly enjoy the Grove. If you have a terrible fake I.D. (not that I condone using those, cough cough) stay away from Mr. Moes! If you don’t have an ID, go to Chicago’s for an 18+ environment, or to Oasis to smoke hookah instead. If you’re belligerent and drooling, it’d be better to catch a $10 dollar cab ride back to campus rather than pass out on the floor in another bar, vomit in the Cane Shuttle, or give the finger to a policeman. Trust me, they’re a lot less fun than Super Troopers makes them out to be.

All warning aside, you really do have to ‘Grove it up during your time here at UM. Going out on Tuesday/Thursdays is a long standing tradition, one that needs to be continued! Halloween in the Grove is one of the best events of the year, GreenStreet is a great place to take a breather with buddies, and the drinks offered at Fat Tuesdays or Wet Willies always lead to an interesting night.

And of course, the already beautiful girls that swarm our university dress up, powder up, and charge those cameras as they hit Cocowalk. Guys, it may only take us five minutes to go from playing Fifa in our boxers to fully ready to leave, but these girls spend hours and hours of preparation, and it shows. Ladies, speaking of which, my number is…

So long story short, the Grove is a place where you can get the true college experience; hitting bars and clubs with hundreds of people your own age, getting just a little bit tipsy, and making memories that will last you … the rest of the night. So find me on your first Thursday night Groving, and I’ll buy you a drink to toast the many Thursdays to come.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Evan Peskin Staff Columnist

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...