Sports briefs 9/23

Volleyball

The Canes will look to rebound after their 3-1 loss at the hands of the Florida State Seminoles when they conclude their six game homestand this weekend at the Knight Sports Complex. The Canes will face off against Virginia Tech on Friday night at 7 p.m. before taking on Virginia on Sunday at 1 p.m. Both games can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Rowing

Head coach Andrew Carter has announced the hiring of Barbi Breimann as the newest member of the coaching staff.  Briemann will come to Miami after having served as a graduate assistant for 2 years at Clemson University. She was also part of the Clemson rowing crew from 2003-2007, helping the Tigers rank as high as 12th in the nation in her time there.

Soccer

The Soccer team will return from an eight day break to take on ACC rival Florida State on Sunday afternoon. The Canes are coming off of their 3-1 win against Fordham and will look to improve upon their 6-2-1 record. The game can be caught at Cobb Stadium starting at 12 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...