Oasis satisfies hunger and heritage

Eli Benhamour, Oasis worker and active member of the Jewish community, talks to sophomore Aaytin Goodman of New York. Goodman states, "Eli is the coolest. He makes the best food." Goodman and Eli were discussing the new T-shirts for the Israel Study Abroad program for spring 2011. Marlena Skrobe//The Miami Hurricane

If it were up to Eli Benhamou, a familiar face at Oasis Deli, educating others would not be limited to the classroom.

Benhamou, the manager and staff supervisor at the University of Miami’s campus kosher deli, is committed to teaching Jewish students on campus about their heritage through the food he serves.

“I see it as a privilege to provide a kosher atmosphere for students trying to study to learn a profession, so they can continue their heritage in pursuit of a secular vocation,” Benhamou said.

Benhamou began working at Oasis in 2008 when President Donna Shalala wanted to open Oasis to better cater to the diverse dietary needs of the student body. The University of Miami’s Rabbi Fellig contacted Benhamou who had previously worked for his father, a local rabbi in Coconut Grove.

Put simply, Kosher dietary laws determine what can and can’t be eaten according to the Torah. This includes ingredients, the way food is cooked and how meat is slaughtered. Everything served at Oasis abides by these rules.

The proposition of a Kosher-certified deli inspired Benhamou.

“I saw it as an opportunity to help students naturally continue their way of life,” he said.

Benhamou, who was born in Brooklyn and raised according to Jewish tradition, appreciates the mesh of cultures at UM. At Oasis, he enjoys seeing how his own culture connects to everyone else’s.

Students of all religions and ethnicities come to Oasis to enjoy the food that Benhamou serves.

“I come because it’s just good Jewish food,” said Jacob Weithorn, a regular at Oasis. “I’m not kosher but I do observe the high holidays.”

According to his coworkers, it is his enthusiasm that keeps people going into Oasis.

“He’s a trip!” said Amiya Mattox, who has worked with Benhamou since the deli opened. “He’s just so funny and he loves to eat.”

Junior Michael Slan, who eats at Oasis at least twice a week, is drawn to Benhamou’s generosity.

“Eli’s a cool guy. Sometimes when they’re about to close, he gives me free soup,” Slan said.

Benhamou serves more than just kosher food at the UM. He also shares guidance in hopes that students will be inspired to live faithfully.

“If I have one message I want to convey it’s for people to love who they are and indentify themselves, especially according to Torah,” he said.

Elissa Decampli may be contacted at edecampli@themiamihurricane.com.

Elissa Decampli

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...