Kappa Kutz for donations

On Monday, UM’s chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi (KAP) hosted “Kappa Kutz.” Male freshmen were invited to get a free haircut by Steven Rivera, owner of Get Right Kutz in downtown Miami. Rivera is also known as the UM football team’s barber.

The Greek community takes pride not only in friendship, leadership and scholarship but also in philanthropy. Every fraternity and sorority sponsors a charity or foundation, and they put on events and fundraisers to benefit them throughout the year.

In 2005, KAP began a partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Nationally, KAP raised a total of $100,000 for St. Jude last year alone. The proceeds earned at “Kappa Kutz” will go towards their annual donation to St. Jude.

KAP’s treasurer, Tyler Koenig, said they expect to earn around $150 through donations.

“This is a great way to get our name out there to freshmen that may decide to rush this spring,” Koenig said.

Advisor to KAP, Kareem-Nelson Hull, noted that they are the first chapter to do “Kappa Kutz.”

“In 2006 we had a brother join that was a barber and he came up with the idea,” he said. “We’re committed to doing this because we know how hard it is for freshmen to feel comfortable away from home. We want to help them groom themselves because personal appearance is important in college.”

The first 12 freshmen to sign up were guaranteed haircuts. Freshman Sarphi Delal said an event like this was just what he needed.

“I’ve been needing this haircut for a long time!” he said.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Rebecca Zimmer

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...