‘Are U Game’ 2010 Homecoming theme

Each year, UM students on the Homecoming Committee coordinate the events, activities and concerts for the fall semester’s biggest celebration.

This year’s theme is “Are U Game?” a motif that will dominate for 11 days on campus. However, it takes almost 11 months of hard work to plan and take care of all the miniscule details.

“Being a part of the Homecoming Executive Committee has been my greatest experience at UM. As a freshman I was so impressed by the immensity of Homecoming that I wanted to become a part of planning it. The opportunity to work on HEC is the best way I know how to say thank you to the U for all that it has given me,” said Homecoming Executive Committee Chair Molly Piccione.

From November all through summer, the Homecoming planning committee chooses the theme, plans the events, looks for sponsorship and designs the T-shirt logo. By the following fall, the Homecoming team is coordinating with Hurricane Productions to find a headliner artist and DJs.

“I love it. It’s one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done,” said Christina Farmer, one of the vice chairs of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “To me, it really symbolizes what being a Cane means.”

Homecoming is also a way of welcoming back former students and local residents to the school  for  the biggest social event of the fall semester. The tradition, which began in 1931, averages to over 15,000 people each year.

During Homecoming week, student-run organizations engage in friendly competition with one another. Each student organization racks up points for the events that they participate in and for the effort that they put forward for the events. At the end, the organization with the most points wins and gets their name announced on the football field during halftime of the Homecoming game, as well as a cash prize.

“Homecoming was so much fun last year!” said sophomore Madeline Bezold. “If it was anything like last year, then I’m sure to come out again this year. It’s nice to be involved with the school and share school spirit!”

Bijal Mehta may be contacted at bmehta@themiamihurricane.com.

For more information about homecoming, visit:

www.miami.edu/homecoming

EVENTS
Oct. 27: Alma Mater Prelims, 7:30 p.m. at the Rat
Oct. 29: Opening Ceremonies, 6 p.m. on the Rock

Oct. 30: Hurricanes Help the Hometown, 9:45 a.m. on the UC Patio

Nov.  1: Blood Drive, 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. at the Field House and on the Rock; King and Queen Competition, 8 p.m. on the UC Patio
Nov. 3: O-Cheer Competition, 7 p.m. on the Rock

Nov. 4: Alma Mater Finals Competition, 4 p.m. on the Rock and at the Spirit Tree- right after the Alma Mater competition

Nov. 5: Parade, 7 p.m. on Stanford Drive; Hurricane Howl (Pep Rally, Boat Burning, Fireworks, and Concert) after the parade on the UC Patio, Lake Osceola and the Green.
Nov. 6: Homecoming Football Game: University of Miami vs. University of Maryland at Sun Life Stadium

Bijal Mehta

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...