‘Are U Game’ 2010 Homecoming theme

Each year, UM students on the Homecoming Committee coordinate the events, activities and concerts for the fall semester’s biggest celebration.

This year’s theme is “Are U Game?” a motif that will dominate for 11 days on campus. However, it takes almost 11 months of hard work to plan and take care of all the miniscule details.

“Being a part of the Homecoming Executive Committee has been my greatest experience at UM. As a freshman I was so impressed by the immensity of Homecoming that I wanted to become a part of planning it. The opportunity to work on HEC is the best way I know how to say thank you to the U for all that it has given me,” said Homecoming Executive Committee Chair Molly Piccione.

From November all through summer, the Homecoming planning committee chooses the theme, plans the events, looks for sponsorship and designs the T-shirt logo. By the following fall, the Homecoming team is coordinating with Hurricane Productions to find a headliner artist and DJs.

“I love it. It’s one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done,” said Christina Farmer, one of the vice chairs of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “To me, it really symbolizes what being a Cane means.”

Homecoming is also a way of welcoming back former students and local residents to the school  for  the biggest social event of the fall semester. The tradition, which began in 1931, averages to over 15,000 people each year.

During Homecoming week, student-run organizations engage in friendly competition with one another. Each student organization racks up points for the events that they participate in and for the effort that they put forward for the events. At the end, the organization with the most points wins and gets their name announced on the football field during halftime of the Homecoming game, as well as a cash prize.

“Homecoming was so much fun last year!” said sophomore Madeline Bezold. “If it was anything like last year, then I’m sure to come out again this year. It’s nice to be involved with the school and share school spirit!”

Bijal Mehta may be contacted at bmehta@themiamihurricane.com.

For more information about homecoming, visit:

www.miami.edu/homecoming

EVENTS
Oct. 27: Alma Mater Prelims, 7:30 p.m. at the Rat
Oct. 29: Opening Ceremonies, 6 p.m. on the Rock

Oct. 30: Hurricanes Help the Hometown, 9:45 a.m. on the UC Patio

Nov.  1: Blood Drive, 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. at the Field House and on the Rock; King and Queen Competition, 8 p.m. on the UC Patio
Nov. 3: O-Cheer Competition, 7 p.m. on the Rock

Nov. 4: Alma Mater Finals Competition, 4 p.m. on the Rock and at the Spirit Tree- right after the Alma Mater competition

Nov. 5: Parade, 7 p.m. on Stanford Drive; Hurricane Howl (Pep Rally, Boat Burning, Fireworks, and Concert) after the parade on the UC Patio, Lake Osceola and the Green.
Nov. 6: Homecoming Football Game: University of Miami vs. University of Maryland at Sun Life Stadium

Bijal Mehta

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...