‘Are U Game’ 2010 Homecoming theme

Each year, UM students on the Homecoming Committee coordinate the events, activities and concerts for the fall semester’s biggest celebration.

This year’s theme is “Are U Game?” a motif that will dominate for 11 days on campus. However, it takes almost 11 months of hard work to plan and take care of all the miniscule details.

“Being a part of the Homecoming Executive Committee has been my greatest experience at UM. As a freshman I was so impressed by the immensity of Homecoming that I wanted to become a part of planning it. The opportunity to work on HEC is the best way I know how to say thank you to the U for all that it has given me,” said Homecoming Executive Committee Chair Molly Piccione.

From November all through summer, the Homecoming planning committee chooses the theme, plans the events, looks for sponsorship and designs the T-shirt logo. By the following fall, the Homecoming team is coordinating with Hurricane Productions to find a headliner artist and DJs.

“I love it. It’s one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done,” said Christina Farmer, one of the vice chairs of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “To me, it really symbolizes what being a Cane means.”

Homecoming is also a way of welcoming back former students and local residents to the school  for  the biggest social event of the fall semester. The tradition, which began in 1931, averages to over 15,000 people each year.

During Homecoming week, student-run organizations engage in friendly competition with one another. Each student organization racks up points for the events that they participate in and for the effort that they put forward for the events. At the end, the organization with the most points wins and gets their name announced on the football field during halftime of the Homecoming game, as well as a cash prize.

“Homecoming was so much fun last year!” said sophomore Madeline Bezold. “If it was anything like last year, then I’m sure to come out again this year. It’s nice to be involved with the school and share school spirit!”

Bijal Mehta may be contacted at bmehta@themiamihurricane.com.

For more information about homecoming, visit:

www.miami.edu/homecoming

EVENTS
Oct. 27: Alma Mater Prelims, 7:30 p.m. at the Rat
Oct. 29: Opening Ceremonies, 6 p.m. on the Rock

Oct. 30: Hurricanes Help the Hometown, 9:45 a.m. on the UC Patio

Nov.  1: Blood Drive, 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. at the Field House and on the Rock; King and Queen Competition, 8 p.m. on the UC Patio
Nov. 3: O-Cheer Competition, 7 p.m. on the Rock

Nov. 4: Alma Mater Finals Competition, 4 p.m. on the Rock and at the Spirit Tree- right after the Alma Mater competition

Nov. 5: Parade, 7 p.m. on Stanford Drive; Hurricane Howl (Pep Rally, Boat Burning, Fireworks, and Concert) after the parade on the UC Patio, Lake Osceola and the Green.
Nov. 6: Homecoming Football Game: University of Miami vs. University of Maryland at Sun Life Stadium

Bijal Mehta

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...