The Lookout: Miami’s ‘key’ to the au naturale

Courtesy of Flickr

Six miles off the coast of Miami lies the city’s own serene getaway: Key Biscayne. Unlike the wild, turbulent, and never sleeping ambiance of South Beach, the island offers a chance to escape from the intoxicated, party-hungry tourists and experience South Florida’s stunning nature.

Start your day off with EcoAdventures, a Miami-Dade service that takes you kayaking and snorkeling through Crandon Park’s tranquil waters.

For those who want to take a stab at water sports, try Sailboards Miami. Conveniently located on Windsurfer Beach, they offer paddleboard, kayak and windsurfing rentals. They guarantee that in just two hours, they can teach you how to windsurf like a pro!

One of America’s best beaches, Bill Bagg State Park, is home of South Florida’s oldest structure, a lighthouse from 1825. Hike or bike down nature trails, catch some fish in “No Name” Harbor, sun bathe, or camp out over night. When you need to refuel, grab some grub at one of the delicious lighthouse restaurants.

Every year, the Crandon Park Tennis Center hosts the Sony Ericsson Open, one of the biggest sporting events in the world.

One mile south of Key Biscayne’s shore lies Miami’s most peculiar neighborhood, Stiltsville. These wooden houses sit on stilts about ten feet above water. Although currently uninhabited, these curious structures were notoriously used as gambling sites and contraband unloading docks during the prohibition and Miami Vice years.

If nature isn’t your thing, Key Biscayne offers other activities. Purchase novelty gifts at the Island Shop, Tinkys, and Surmesur. Refuel yourself with some quick bites from Sir Pizza, Archie’s Pizza or La Carreta. For a more exclusive dining experience that won’t empty your wallet, sample some Argentinian cuisine at Novecento 900, enjoy drinks and live entertainment at Ibis Lounge, dig into some Asian cuisine at Sushi Siam or indulge in fresh seafood at the Rusty Pelican.

From adventure trails on water to pristine beaches for lounging, Key Biscayne is the ultimate “mini-vacation.” After all, it’s less than an hour away from campus.

Ashley Brozic may be contacted at abrozic@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX:

“The Lookout” is a new column running in Edge that will feature interesting things to do and see in neighborhoods not usually frequented by students, but worth checking out. Be sure to look for “The Lookout” next month in Edge!

Ashley Brozic

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...