Sports briefs 9/20

Cross-Country

The cross-country team is continuing its strong start to its young 2010 season after both the men’s and women’s teams placed in the top 10 at the Mountain Dew Invitational on Saturday.

Freshmen Connor Adams and Brooke Dovell placed fifth and sixth, respectively, with Dovell running the third-best 5k run in program history. The Canes will next compete at the Greater Louisville Classic in Kentucky on Oct 2.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball team played its first ACC match of the season Saturday night. Miami (10-2, 0-1 ACC) lost 3-1 to Florida State (9-1, 1-0) in front of a packed house at the Knight Sports Complex.

Basketball

The start of the basketball season is creeping closer. The schedule was recently announced. The men play exhibitions against Barry on Nov. 3 and Florida Southern on Nov. 8 before starting the regular season on Nov. 12 against Jacksonville. The women play against Rollins College on Nov. 6.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...