Sports briefs 9/20

Cross-Country

The cross-country team is continuing its strong start to its young 2010 season after both the men’s and women’s teams placed in the top 10 at the Mountain Dew Invitational on Saturday.

Freshmen Connor Adams and Brooke Dovell placed fifth and sixth, respectively, with Dovell running the third-best 5k run in program history. The Canes will next compete at the Greater Louisville Classic in Kentucky on Oct 2.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball team played its first ACC match of the season Saturday night. Miami (10-2, 0-1 ACC) lost 3-1 to Florida State (9-1, 1-0) in front of a packed house at the Knight Sports Complex.

Basketball

The start of the basketball season is creeping closer. The schedule was recently announced. The men play exhibitions against Barry on Nov. 3 and Florida Southern on Nov. 8 before starting the regular season on Nov. 12 against Jacksonville. The women play against Rollins College on Nov. 6.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...