Out with the old, reinventing U.S. politics

Aren’t you panicking? As the American economy crumbles, the world economy falters, crime rises and a communist, black Muslim leads us into a future of new austerity, it looks as if our (other) elected officials can do nothing but groan and hide.

Television personalities and bloggers have told us that those officials were elected to solve these problems quickly and in a way that the media could communicate, so the lack of forthcoming solutions is clearly an indication that the system is broken. These incumbent dimwits we’ve been bamboozled into electing must therefore be disposed of, and the system in which they have thrived must also be completely destroyed.

I blame our country’s founding fathers. Some of those otherwise great men made the decision to set up an inefficient government. They had the balls to think Americans would buckle under tyranny if one person or group gained too much power, so they established a state designed to ensure people and interests balanced with one another. Of course, these people also wanted decisions to be collectively made and approved, which ensures that it took (and takes) a really long time for controversial ones to become law. A government designed for gridlock; what’s up with that?

And don’t you think we haven’t been aware of the dangers of that gridlock until now? It took this country 90 years to abolish slavery because we kept insisting on giving those pro-slavery boneheads a “voice.” Their position was dumb, not to mention just plain wrong, but in America even the stupid and wrong have a role in the decision-making process. It infuriates me, though, and it should infuriate you too. The right course of action in politics is always clear, but since some people refuse to stop obstructing the flow of politics even when mistaken there ought to be a mechanism for silencing them. After all, if you agree with me only people who disagree with you will be frozen out of politics.

So, when you go to the voting booth this November, vote against every “in-dumb-ent” and career politician you find on the ballot. Only people with no experience in politics are free enough from special-interest influence to restructure our government with efficiency in mind. Only the political pups can begin to strip America of the wrongheaded yet age-old commitment to free debate and equal interest representation that’s hurt us so deeply for so long.

Andrew Hamner is a senior majoring in political science. He can be contacted at ahamner@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Hamner

Opinion Columnist

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...