Out with the old, reinventing U.S. politics

Aren’t you panicking? As the American economy crumbles, the world economy falters, crime rises and a communist, black Muslim leads us into a future of new austerity, it looks as if our (other) elected officials can do nothing but groan and hide.

Television personalities and bloggers have told us that those officials were elected to solve these problems quickly and in a way that the media could communicate, so the lack of forthcoming solutions is clearly an indication that the system is broken. These incumbent dimwits we’ve been bamboozled into electing must therefore be disposed of, and the system in which they have thrived must also be completely destroyed.

I blame our country’s founding fathers. Some of those otherwise great men made the decision to set up an inefficient government. They had the balls to think Americans would buckle under tyranny if one person or group gained too much power, so they established a state designed to ensure people and interests balanced with one another. Of course, these people also wanted decisions to be collectively made and approved, which ensures that it took (and takes) a really long time for controversial ones to become law. A government designed for gridlock; what’s up with that?

And don’t you think we haven’t been aware of the dangers of that gridlock until now? It took this country 90 years to abolish slavery because we kept insisting on giving those pro-slavery boneheads a “voice.” Their position was dumb, not to mention just plain wrong, but in America even the stupid and wrong have a role in the decision-making process. It infuriates me, though, and it should infuriate you too. The right course of action in politics is always clear, but since some people refuse to stop obstructing the flow of politics even when mistaken there ought to be a mechanism for silencing them. After all, if you agree with me only people who disagree with you will be frozen out of politics.

So, when you go to the voting booth this November, vote against every “in-dumb-ent” and career politician you find on the ballot. Only people with no experience in politics are free enough from special-interest influence to restructure our government with efficiency in mind. Only the political pups can begin to strip America of the wrongheaded yet age-old commitment to free debate and equal interest representation that’s hurt us so deeply for so long.

Andrew Hamner is a senior majoring in political science. He can be contacted at ahamner@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Hamner

Opinion Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Out with the old, reinventing U.S. politics”

1. go4it says:

Thought you were a jerk from the headline. But after reading I totally agree with you.

Think about tobacco lobby. We as citizens agree that cigs will “kill you”. We put it on the actual packages. The tobacco companies still make billions and hundreds of thousands of American’s (forget the Asians and rest of the world) DIE each year from smoking tobacco.

Yet, you can still buy the weeds and Phillip Morris still makes billions. Go figure.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...