News Briefs 9/20

Shalala honored with Nelson Mandela Award

On Thursday, University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala was awarded the 2010 Nelson Mandela Award for Health and Human Rights. The award recognizes Shalala for her dedication to advancing access to health care in the United States, helping disadvantaged people around the world, and her special commitment to ending apartheid and developing democracy in South Africa.

“Whether it’s providing better health care to soldiers returning from two wars, or shaping the future of nursing here at home, or providing relief efforts in Haiti, or providing leadership on health reform, Donna Shalala has always been there when the people of our country and the world have needed her,” said Kaiser Family Foundation President and CEO Drew Altman, in a UM media release.

UM Mortar Board chapter receives National Award

The Nu Kappa Tau chapter at The University of Miami was among the outstanding chapters to be honored for its excellence at the 2010 Mortar Board National Conference, held July 23-25 in Chicago. The group was one of 77 chapters to receive the Silver Torch Award, presented to chapters exemplifying the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. Chapter President Christine Pao and advisor Dayle Wilson were present to accept the award.

Compiled by Parker Davis  who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...