News Briefs 9/20

Shalala honored with Nelson Mandela Award

On Thursday, University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala was awarded the 2010 Nelson Mandela Award for Health and Human Rights. The award recognizes Shalala for her dedication to advancing access to health care in the United States, helping disadvantaged people around the world, and her special commitment to ending apartheid and developing democracy in South Africa.

“Whether it’s providing better health care to soldiers returning from two wars, or shaping the future of nursing here at home, or providing relief efforts in Haiti, or providing leadership on health reform, Donna Shalala has always been there when the people of our country and the world have needed her,” said Kaiser Family Foundation President and CEO Drew Altman, in a UM media release.

UM Mortar Board chapter receives National Award

The Nu Kappa Tau chapter at The University of Miami was among the outstanding chapters to be honored for its excellence at the 2010 Mortar Board National Conference, held July 23-25 in Chicago. The group was one of 77 chapters to receive the Silver Torch Award, presented to chapters exemplifying the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. Chapter President Christine Pao and advisor Dayle Wilson were present to accept the award.

Compiled by Parker Davis  who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...