News Briefs 9/20

Shalala honored with Nelson Mandela Award

On Thursday, University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala was awarded the 2010 Nelson Mandela Award for Health and Human Rights. The award recognizes Shalala for her dedication to advancing access to health care in the United States, helping disadvantaged people around the world, and her special commitment to ending apartheid and developing democracy in South Africa.

“Whether it’s providing better health care to soldiers returning from two wars, or shaping the future of nursing here at home, or providing relief efforts in Haiti, or providing leadership on health reform, Donna Shalala has always been there when the people of our country and the world have needed her,” said Kaiser Family Foundation President and CEO Drew Altman, in a UM media release.

UM Mortar Board chapter receives National Award

The Nu Kappa Tau chapter at The University of Miami was among the outstanding chapters to be honored for its excellence at the 2010 Mortar Board National Conference, held July 23-25 in Chicago. The group was one of 77 chapters to receive the Silver Torch Award, presented to chapters exemplifying the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. Chapter President Christine Pao and advisor Dayle Wilson were present to accept the award.

Compiled by Parker Davis  who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...