Elections easy way to make voice heard

After a week of meeting constituents, sending Facebook invitations, hanging banners around campus and passing out flyers, candidates for Student Government (SG) senate are ready to hear what students have to say.

This week, SG elections will be held in the UC Breezeway, Monday through Wednesday. Students will be able to vote for who they think will best represent their class, residential house and school, for SG’s 27 open senate seats.

The ballots will consist of the candidates’ names with a short description of who they are and what issues they stand for, as well a referendum: whether or not to increase student government funding.

SG press secretary and referendum creator Ryan Aquilina is asking all voters to mark “yes” on the referendum in order to better serve the student population by generating more money to fund student events and cosponsor student organizations.

According to Aquilina, voting for Student Government is an important part of the year that is easy to get involved in.

“Voters basically just have to show up, and the voting process only takes about five minutes of their time,” Aquilina said.

Running for candidacy is just as easy. Students interested in running for a position in student government simply need to submit an application and attend every weekly Student Government meeting, for the semester they wish to run.

SG elections committee chair Fernanda Sanchez insisted that no prior experience is necessary.

“You gain experience [by participating]. Everyone interested should try it at least once in college,” Sanchez said.

The results of this semester’s election will be announced on Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Rathskellar.

Niloufar Abae may be contacted at nabae@themiamihurricane.com.

Niloufar Abae

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...