Elections easy way to make voice heard

After a week of meeting constituents, sending Facebook invitations, hanging banners around campus and passing out flyers, candidates for Student Government (SG) senate are ready to hear what students have to say.

This week, SG elections will be held in the UC Breezeway, Monday through Wednesday. Students will be able to vote for who they think will best represent their class, residential house and school, for SG’s 27 open senate seats.

The ballots will consist of the candidates’ names with a short description of who they are and what issues they stand for, as well a referendum: whether or not to increase student government funding.

SG press secretary and referendum creator Ryan Aquilina is asking all voters to mark “yes” on the referendum in order to better serve the student population by generating more money to fund student events and cosponsor student organizations.

According to Aquilina, voting for Student Government is an important part of the year that is easy to get involved in.

“Voters basically just have to show up, and the voting process only takes about five minutes of their time,” Aquilina said.

Running for candidacy is just as easy. Students interested in running for a position in student government simply need to submit an application and attend every weekly Student Government meeting, for the semester they wish to run.

SG elections committee chair Fernanda Sanchez insisted that no prior experience is necessary.

“You gain experience [by participating]. Everyone interested should try it at least once in college,” Sanchez said.

The results of this semester’s election will be announced on Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Rathskellar.

Niloufar Abae may be contacted at nabae@themiamihurricane.com.

Niloufar Abae

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...