Canes beat Rams 3-1

Friday night lights was a success for the UM women’s soccer team.

The University of Miami Hurricanes (6-2-1) defeated the Fordham Rams (3-5-0) 3-1 in their last non-conference game of the season.

“I think we’re really fit,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It’s knowing we can continue applying pressure to teams and some point they’ll break. We take some pride in that and have fun.”

The Rams opened up the contest early with a header to the top left by senior Katie McDermott off a corner kick by junior Michaela Murphy to make the score 1-0.

“They did a good job of pressuring the defense and keeping the ball in the air coming out,” Taliaferro said.

The Hurricanes recovered from a sloppy beginning in the first half in which Fordham had numerous chances and momentum.

“They’re a good team,” senior Brittney Steinbruch said. “We didn’t know much about them but they were really good.”

Senior Lauren Singer had a shot in goal in the 21 minute from a pass by Steinbruch point blank but it was saved by Fordham goalie sophomore Rachel Suther who recorded nine saves in the contest.

The Canes had 12 shots on goal compared to just three for the Rams.

Freshman Blake Stockton got the equalizer in the 30th minute off a cross by sophomore Jordan Roseboro. Stockton kicked the ball into the cross bar then hit the rebound into the goal with her chest.

“I think it was important to get that goal,” senior Brittney Mcdonald said. “It gave us more momentum and we were able to control the game after that.”

Just a minute later Mcdonald gave UM the lead with a header to the left post off a corner by senior Katie Oddo.

It was a great ball by and I’m glad we got a result out of it,” Mcdonald said. “Coming back from adversity has been a goal for us and I think we’ve proved that tonight.”

In the 63 minute Steinbruch weaved through three Fordham defenders before sliding the ball past the Fordham goalie to make the score 3-1 for the Hurricanes.

“It helps having so many good players around me,” Steinbruch said. “Then sometimes you can play on your own at times and have it work out.”

In the 87 minute the Fordham Rams were awarded a penalty kick for a foul in the box. Katie McDermott kicked the resulting kick over the University of Miami goal.

The Hurricanes next face in-state rivals Florida State in their ACC home opener.

“It’s a long week of practice until we play Florida State,” said Steinbruch of the crucial showdown. “But it’s going to be serious. It’s the ACC and Florida State for our first game is ridiculous. It’s going to be a huge game and we need to focus.”

The game is on Sunday 29 at 12:00 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.