Postpone relationships to make friendships

Typically, I am cynical of long distant relationships, especially for new college students. In fact, the first two years of college, I stayed out of a serious relationship.

Honestly, relationships hold you back, especially long-distance ones. Now, I am not telling you to immediately break up with your significant other upon reading this. By no means should that be done unless you have good reason.

Yes, I understand girlfriends and boyfriends are comforting and reliable. However, you miss great opportunities by tying yourself to someone right off the bat. For example, say you are out at a party or a bar and someone asks for your number. If you are in a relationship, you know the obligation of saying, “No thanks… taken.” For fear of unfaithfulness, you may become terrified of the opposite sex. Trust me. I have been there.

Therefore, here is my solution: Do not be hasty to jump into a relationship. First, focus on the relationships around you. If you jump into a relationship and make no other friends, who will be there to pick up the pieces if a nasty break-up happens? I know it is cliché, but the friends you make in college will become your best friends and some will be as close as family, so you should probably take the time to meet them.

Also, to keep yourself out of trouble (if you are living in the dorms), make nice with your RA. They are there to help and can get you out of sticky situations such as a psycho roommate, a broken AC or, god forbid, a break-up.

Do not be afraid to branch out. Embrace a new culture. Welcome to college, the unsupervised life. It’s a wild world, but do not let anyone hold you back. This is your time.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...