Postpone relationships to make friendships

Typically, I am cynical of long distant relationships, especially for new college students. In fact, the first two years of college, I stayed out of a serious relationship.

Honestly, relationships hold you back, especially long-distance ones. Now, I am not telling you to immediately break up with your significant other upon reading this. By no means should that be done unless you have good reason.

Yes, I understand girlfriends and boyfriends are comforting and reliable. However, you miss great opportunities by tying yourself to someone right off the bat. For example, say you are out at a party or a bar and someone asks for your number. If you are in a relationship, you know the obligation of saying, “No thanks… taken.” For fear of unfaithfulness, you may become terrified of the opposite sex. Trust me. I have been there.

Therefore, here is my solution: Do not be hasty to jump into a relationship. First, focus on the relationships around you. If you jump into a relationship and make no other friends, who will be there to pick up the pieces if a nasty break-up happens? I know it is cliché, but the friends you make in college will become your best friends and some will be as close as family, so you should probably take the time to meet them.

Also, to keep yourself out of trouble (if you are living in the dorms), make nice with your RA. They are there to help and can get you out of sticky situations such as a psycho roommate, a broken AC or, god forbid, a break-up.

Do not be afraid to branch out. Embrace a new culture. Welcome to college, the unsupervised life. It’s a wild world, but do not let anyone hold you back. This is your time.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...