Postpone relationships to make friendships

Typically, I am cynical of long distant relationships, especially for new college students. In fact, the first two years of college, I stayed out of a serious relationship.

Honestly, relationships hold you back, especially long-distance ones. Now, I am not telling you to immediately break up with your significant other upon reading this. By no means should that be done unless you have good reason.

Yes, I understand girlfriends and boyfriends are comforting and reliable. However, you miss great opportunities by tying yourself to someone right off the bat. For example, say you are out at a party or a bar and someone asks for your number. If you are in a relationship, you know the obligation of saying, “No thanks… taken.” For fear of unfaithfulness, you may become terrified of the opposite sex. Trust me. I have been there.

Therefore, here is my solution: Do not be hasty to jump into a relationship. First, focus on the relationships around you. If you jump into a relationship and make no other friends, who will be there to pick up the pieces if a nasty break-up happens? I know it is cliché, but the friends you make in college will become your best friends and some will be as close as family, so you should probably take the time to meet them.

Also, to keep yourself out of trouble (if you are living in the dorms), make nice with your RA. They are there to help and can get you out of sticky situations such as a psycho roommate, a broken AC or, god forbid, a break-up.

Do not be afraid to branch out. Embrace a new culture. Welcome to college, the unsupervised life. It’s a wild world, but do not let anyone hold you back. This is your time.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Postpone relationships to make friendships”

1. Katie Rainer says:

I always think it’s worse to get into a relationship with a friend, except on rare occasions. I have done it and in a lot of ways it feels weird. Many times one partner will start asking should I text my ex? or something, then not only does the relationship end but probably the friendship will too.

When you meet someone with the intention of dating however you both know where you stand :)

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...