News Briefs 9/16

UM Development Update

The University of Miami master plan passed unanimously with a 5-0 vote from the Coral Gables commissioners. President Donna E. Shalala, deans from the School of Architecture, the School of Education and the School of Communication, as well as both men’s and women’s basketball coaches, were present to support the passing of the document that will be a roadmap for UM and the city to work together for the next 20 years.

Major changes approved include the addition of 1,830 seats and the sale of alcohol at the BankUnited Center, the re-zoning of the area in front of the BUC and a five-year postponement of the controversial internal road that originally planned to cut through the Gifford Arboretum.

Ibis Ride returns

The first Ibis Ride of the year will be this Thursday. From 9:30 – 11:30 p.m., Grove goers can get free pizza and hear music at Stanford Circle, where the shuttle picks up students, at an event hosted by SG, AGLO, GAMMA, and Pier 21. The Ibis Ride will resume its regular schedule for the semester, picking up students at Stanford Circle Thursdays and Fridays between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m., and droppin them off in front of CocoWalk.

Dalai Lama ticket to go on sale

UM will host a return visit of the Dalai Lama who will speak on “The Quest for Happiness in Challenging Times” at the BankUnited Center at 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 26. The event is open to UM students, faculty, staff and invited guests.

Tickets will be distributed Oct. 4 and 5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and are available on a first come, first serve basis.  A valid Cane Card is required. For distribution locations, visit miami.edu/dalailama.

Fundraiser brings “HOPE”

The HOPE Public Interest Resource Center is hosting a fundraiser Thursday at the California Pizza Kitchen on Miracle Mile. Donations, made up of 20 percent of each order, will help fund public interest fellowship opportunities for Univeristy of Miami law students.

To participate in the fundraiser, students must bring the event’s flyer, which is available at www.themiamihurricane.com by searching “HOPE.”

Compiled by Parker Davis  who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com and Kylie Banks who may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...