Football, Sports

The scoop on the team

How many shows are getting unlimited access to your favorite football team that is broadcast all over the state of Florida? Only one.

"Voice of the Hurricanes" Joe Zagacki prepares to tape an installment of Hurricane Gameday, a UMTV production that focuses on Miami Hurricanes football. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

“Hurricane Gameday” has found its new permanent home here at the School of Communication.

Emmy Award-winning sports producer and editor Nelson Martel was brought in to help with UMTV’s “Hurricane Gameday” by mentoring the students.

But the backbone of the show is comprised of students who work as the crew and handle all the filming.

The opportunity gives communication students hands-on experience in producing a show that reaches 6.4 million homes in Florida on the Comcast CSS network.

“It’s [in]Studio C which is part of the cable studios that are through the School of Communication,” Broadcast Operations Director Natalia Crujeires said. “What we have is a new set element within that studio; it has been specifically designed for [Hurricane Gameday].”

Since “Hurricane Gameday” is now on campus and filmed by students, it can now provide unlimited access to fans of UM athletics.

So far this season, “Hurricane Gameday” has provided its wide array of viewers access to Randy Shannon during a pre-season scrimmage, as well as giving viewers a glimpse the football team on a trip to the movies during their leisure time.

For future shows, “Hurricane Gameday” will provide weight room footage, access to the locker room on game days and more time with the team to and from the away games.

The show will not just cover football, but will also get up close and personal with both men’s and women’s basketball and baseball later this year. The contract with CSS runs during the academic school year.

“The pressure is on,” Crujeires said. “This particular show [differs from]other shows in that it is put on for a network on CSS which brings a whole new dimension and expectation of course.”

Rico Dominguez may be contacted at rdominguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Enrico Dominguez

Contributing Edge Writer

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...