Football, Sports

The scoop on the team

How many shows are getting unlimited access to your favorite football team that is broadcast all over the state of Florida? Only one.

"Voice of the Hurricanes" Joe Zagacki prepares to tape an installment of Hurricane Gameday, a UMTV production that focuses on Miami Hurricanes football. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

“Hurricane Gameday” has found its new permanent home here at the School of Communication.

Emmy Award-winning sports producer and editor Nelson Martel was brought in to help with UMTV’s “Hurricane Gameday” by mentoring the students.

But the backbone of the show is comprised of students who work as the crew and handle all the filming.

The opportunity gives communication students hands-on experience in producing a show that reaches 6.4 million homes in Florida on the Comcast CSS network.

“It’s [in]Studio C which is part of the cable studios that are through the School of Communication,” Broadcast Operations Director Natalia Crujeires said. “What we have is a new set element within that studio; it has been specifically designed for [Hurricane Gameday].”

Since “Hurricane Gameday” is now on campus and filmed by students, it can now provide unlimited access to fans of UM athletics.

So far this season, “Hurricane Gameday” has provided its wide array of viewers access to Randy Shannon during a pre-season scrimmage, as well as giving viewers a glimpse the football team on a trip to the movies during their leisure time.

For future shows, “Hurricane Gameday” will provide weight room footage, access to the locker room on game days and more time with the team to and from the away games.

The show will not just cover football, but will also get up close and personal with both men’s and women’s basketball and baseball later this year. The contract with CSS runs during the academic school year.

“The pressure is on,” Crujeires said. “This particular show [differs from]other shows in that it is put on for a network on CSS which brings a whole new dimension and expectation of course.”

Rico Dominguez may be contacted at rdominguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Enrico Dominguez

Contributing Edge Writer

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...