Global awareness “igKnited” on campus

Student advocacy organizations will gather this Friday with one mission in mind: to eradicate global poverty.

igKnite, a student media organization that focuses on sharing issues of global significance through different multimedia platforms, will be partnering with ONE, the non-profit organization dedicated to fighting AIDS and world poverty, to host a “Stand Up Against Poverty” event on the University Center Patio.

The groups hope to raise awareness for poverty around the world and bring attention to preventable diseases that have taken the lives of millions of people all over the world.

Not just limited to the University of Miami campus, Stand Up and Take Action is a global movement that strives to raise awareness of the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs). The goals aim to end extreme poverty and its root causes by the year 2015. This year’s event serves as a reminder to people everywhere about the realities of poverty and hunger worldwide.

“This is a key opportunity for us to remind our elected leaders that we are committed to achieving the MDGs,” ONE field organizer Sara Paterni said.

Originally pitched in 2007, Stand Up and Take Action events have been happening all around the world. Just last year, 173 million people joined in to take a stand against poverty.

This is the second year that ONE teams up with igKnite at the University of Miami. Students, such as igKnite member Eric Hurley, have been working with ONE to plan this year’s event.

“Our common interest in the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals has fostered an active partnership and we are happy to be hosting this again,” Hurley said.

With Hurley, igKnite and ONE working together, they came up with the plan for a two-hour event featuring different booths representing local organizations, as well as student organizations such as Amnesty International, Students for a New Democracy, ONE, CARE and RESULTS who will be giving students information about volunteering and local advocacy.

“We hope to increase awareness about the MDGs on campus and in the Miami community and show our elected leaders that there is strong support in South Florida for achieving the MDGs,” Paterni said. “We will also encourage attendees to get involved in upcoming ONE advocacy and awareness activities.”

The free event will start at 1 p.m. on Friday and is open to the public.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com.

Caroline Helmers

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...