Global awareness “igKnited” on campus

Student advocacy organizations will gather this Friday with one mission in mind: to eradicate global poverty.

igKnite, a student media organization that focuses on sharing issues of global significance through different multimedia platforms, will be partnering with ONE, the non-profit organization dedicated to fighting AIDS and world poverty, to host a “Stand Up Against Poverty” event on the University Center Patio.

The groups hope to raise awareness for poverty around the world and bring attention to preventable diseases that have taken the lives of millions of people all over the world.

Not just limited to the University of Miami campus, Stand Up and Take Action is a global movement that strives to raise awareness of the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs). The goals aim to end extreme poverty and its root causes by the year 2015. This year’s event serves as a reminder to people everywhere about the realities of poverty and hunger worldwide.

“This is a key opportunity for us to remind our elected leaders that we are committed to achieving the MDGs,” ONE field organizer Sara Paterni said.

Originally pitched in 2007, Stand Up and Take Action events have been happening all around the world. Just last year, 173 million people joined in to take a stand against poverty.

This is the second year that ONE teams up with igKnite at the University of Miami. Students, such as igKnite member Eric Hurley, have been working with ONE to plan this year’s event.

“Our common interest in the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals has fostered an active partnership and we are happy to be hosting this again,” Hurley said.

With Hurley, igKnite and ONE working together, they came up with the plan for a two-hour event featuring different booths representing local organizations, as well as student organizations such as Amnesty International, Students for a New Democracy, ONE, CARE and RESULTS who will be giving students information about volunteering and local advocacy.

“We hope to increase awareness about the MDGs on campus and in the Miami community and show our elected leaders that there is strong support in South Florida for achieving the MDGs,” Paterni said. “We will also encourage attendees to get involved in upcoming ONE advocacy and awareness activities.”

The free event will start at 1 p.m. on Friday and is open to the public.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com.

Caroline Helmers

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...