“Easy A” witty and memorable

Courtesy Screen Gems

Teen movies have a certain cachet. Some are established classics, think “Ferris Bueller” or anything from John Hughes’ filmography, and some, like “Mean Girls,” are newer. But the funny thing about the genre is that the truly great films become legends, while the mediocre are simply forgotten.

“Easy A” may not be as memorable as “Sixteen Candles” or “The Breakfast Club,” but after “Mean Girls,” it’s the closest thing our generation has to offer.

“Easy A” takes a familiar concept, a rumor becoming unmanageable, and makes it seem fresh while borrowing liberally from classic literature like “The Scarlet Letter,” newer films like “Saved!” and the aforementioned “Mean Girls.” Emma Stone, “Easy A’s” presumed adulteress, carries the film effortlessly; she is a deft comedian with impeccable timing.

Stone more than holds her own against the fantastic cast: The always-wonderful Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson are her parents, while her school’s faculty includes such luminaries as Malcolm McDowell, Thomas Haden Church and Lisa Kudrow. Amanda Bynes’ shrill Bible thumping pales in comparison with Mandy Moore’s character in “Saved!” and Penn Badgley will forever play variations of his “Gossip Girl” character. If any part of the film rings false, it’s the (spoiler!) budding romance between Stone and Badgley’s characters, but the two do their best.

“Easy A” is easily one of the best comedies in years. It’s fast-paced, extremely clever, incredibly funny, fairly surprising and full of impressive performances, including a star-making turn from its leading lady. It may not be as instantly iconic as its 80s film counterparts, but it certainly has the potential to rise to the top of the class.

“Easy A” may not define this generation on the same level that “Mean Girls” has, but it definitely deserves to be remembered.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes

Directed By: Will Gluck

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...