Hurry ‘Canes shuttle tangles with SUV

On a rainy Tuesday morning at approximately 10:55 a.m. a Hurry ‘Canes shuttle, filled to capacity with students heading to class, crashed into a black SUV driven by a University of Miami student. The accident happened outside of the Ponce Garage, as the bus driver attempted a right hand turn on to Ponce De Leon Boulevard.

According to UMPD Lieutenant Michael Colombo, the student driving the SUV was cited for “improper passing.”

“There was no damage to the shuttle bus as far as I know,” said Richard Sobaram, director of parking and transportation services. “I did hear that it caused a traffic jam near the garage.”

Sobaram said that the accident was not the shuttle driver’s fault. No one was injured in the accident.

A UM senior, who preferred to remain anonymous, but was on the shuttle at the time of the crash, said the shuttle driver had to ask students to squeeze toward to back of the bus so that all the student standing could fit behind the yellow safety line.

“This is the busiest time of day for the shuttle pick ups,” Colombo said.

This fall the parking and transportation department restructured the shuttle routes, cut down on wait times, eliminating several stops and creating two direct routes instead of three. The shuttle involved with the crash was headed to the fountain stop at the time of the accident, but the UM senior on board said that it was not an express.

The restructured system has reduced wait time at the remaining shuttle stops, but during the busiest times on campus the shuttles are often filled to capacity.

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...