Hurry ‘Canes shuttle tangles with SUV

On a rainy Tuesday morning at approximately 10:55 a.m. a Hurry ‘Canes shuttle, filled to capacity with students heading to class, crashed into a black SUV driven by a University of Miami student. The accident happened outside of the Ponce Garage, as the bus driver attempted a right hand turn on to Ponce De Leon Boulevard.

According to UMPD Lieutenant Michael Colombo, the student driving the SUV was cited for “improper passing.”

“There was no damage to the shuttle bus as far as I know,” said Richard Sobaram, director of parking and transportation services. “I did hear that it caused a traffic jam near the garage.”

Sobaram said that the accident was not the shuttle driver’s fault. No one was injured in the accident.

A UM senior, who preferred to remain anonymous, but was on the shuttle at the time of the crash, said the shuttle driver had to ask students to squeeze toward to back of the bus so that all the student standing could fit behind the yellow safety line.

“This is the busiest time of day for the shuttle pick ups,” Colombo said.

This fall the parking and transportation department restructured the shuttle routes, cut down on wait times, eliminating several stops and creating two direct routes instead of three. The shuttle involved with the crash was headed to the fountain stop at the time of the accident, but the UM senior on board said that it was not an express.

The restructured system has reduced wait time at the remaining shuttle stops, but during the busiest times on campus the shuttles are often filled to capacity.

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...