Sports briefs 9/13

Women’s Tennis

The tennis team will open up their season with four student-athletes ranked by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. Senior Bianca Eichkorn headlines the Hurricanes with a ranking of No. 14 in the nation, with juniors Anna Bartenstein and Gabriela Mejia ranked No. 53 and 83, respectively. Two doubles teams also ranked in the top 20, with the Eichkorn and Bartenstein duo at No.16 and Mejia and sophomore Danielle Mills at No.17. The season is set to kick off with the Hurricane Invitational starting on Sept. 24.

Baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Wednesday at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at 305-284-4171.

Track and Field

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem was named the head coach for IAFF Continental Cup for the Americas team, which consisted of runners from North, Central and South America, as well as Caribbean Track and Field Federations. The Continental Cup is a competition between the Americas, Africa, Europe and Asia/Pacific. The Americans were narrowly beaten by Europe, 429 to 419.5 seconds, and ended in second place.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...