Soccer

Soccer squad wins Hurricane Cup

The University of Miami won the Hurricane Cup with wins over West Virginia and North Dakota State University.

“One of our goals for the weekend to have control of our tournament and take first place,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We need to have that mentality in preparation of post season two game weekends.”

The Canes opened up the Cup with a come from behind 2-1 victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers.

Senior Brittney Steinbruch scored in the 88th minute to give the Hurricanes the win at home.

“It was huge,” said Steinbruch of the win. “We were playing great and we just needed a chance to really finish it and put it away.”

Blake Miller opened up the scoring for the Mountaineers in the 74th minute with a shot from the right outside the box that curved into the far post out of the reach of Junior Vikki Alonzo.

“We don’t settle for a tie or getting scored on,” Taliaferro said. “The way we responded showed our character to be able to push through even though we’re hurting.”

In the 83rd minute, senior Ashlee Burt got the equalizer lobbing a header over the Mountaineer goalie Kerri Butler from an Ali Brennan free kick.

“Ali and Burt got that play going and after we got pumped up all over again,” Steinbruch said.
“It was a team effort to come back and make it happen in the last couple of minutes.”

Just three minutes later, Steinbruch was able to run past the Mountaineer defenders to get a one-on-one against goalie Kerri Butler and score the game winner. It is Steinbruch’s fourth goal of the season.

The Hurricanes closed out the Cup with a win against the North Dakota State Bison 1-0.

Sophomore Kate Howarth got the game winner in 7th minute with a superb shot from outside the box to the upper left corner out of the reach of Bison’s’ goalie Kathy Kelsey. Howarth is tied with Steinbruch as the Canes leading scorer with four goals.

“I just had time so I hit it,” Howarth said. “When we got up in the last the more we hit it the more we score.”

Sophomore Fatima Nasser got the Canes another good opportunity with a shot in the box that hit the lower right post.

Miami outshot their opponents 17 to 2 in a game in which the Hurricanes consistently pressed forward.

Steinbruch was nominated the Offensive MVP of the Cup and Brittney McDonald got the Tournament MVP.  Vikki Alonzo recorded the 20th shutout of her career.

“As a defensive unit we’re really coming together,” McDonald said. “Once the defense is in order we can push forward and focus on scoring goals.”

The Hurricanes next face Fordham Friday, Sep. 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...